AODE upgrades/opinions

thats gcomfx.com's car. just check out his sig.

you should of joined in the Group Purchase on the Edge Torque converters and Transgo shiftkits. I'm glad i did and i didnt even install it yet LOL

i'm kind of stumped on the planetary gear set in Jerrys article. He says that the stock aod/aode planetary gear sets cant take high torque numbers and recommends to upgrade to the 4R70W gear set. i really dont want to do this because i'm worried about traction with 3.73's when i add the blower. because adding the 4r70w gearset with a 3.27 geared car will turn it into a 3.83 car. I think i'm going to leave it stock but dont want it to break on me either.

I'll probably go to a local tranny shop and see what they recommend.

• Sponsors (?)

So OINK, can you please explain what has to be swapped from the V-6 tranny to make it fit our cars. It was kind of reading Chinese when I tried understanding the abbreviations you wrote. :D So this tranny can also have a 3000 stall installed? You're also stating to not worry about the rebuild kit and that this tranny will hold up fine?
Thanx

Yea, i picked up a 4R70W out of an 01 V6.
They are strong transmissions from the factory, much better then the AODE.

Yes, you can use your AODE convertor in a V6 4R70W trans, no matter what stall speed it is.

As far as parts to swap over.. From the reading ive done, it looks like you need to swap over the Tailhousing from your AODE, and the Clutch Convertor Solinoid(CCS), and make a modification to the EPC..

You can read all about this in much more detail then i could ever explain, over at www.tccoa.com under technical articles> transmission

Heres the quote from there site. To me 387 seems kinda drastic. maybe they are refering to your effective 1st gear ratio, when they mention 3.87?

"In other words, a 3.27-1 axle ratio with a wide ratio gear-set will provide the equivalent of a 3.87-1 axle ratio with a standard ratio gear-set in first gear while providing identical ratios (and resultant cruise RPM’s) in third and only slightly different overdrive ratios. Essentially, the wide ratio kit makes your vehicle act as if it has a lower (higher numerically) axle ratio for maximum acceleration without sacrificing fuel mileage and increasing engine wear as a rear end gear swap would do. For most mild street vehicles, the wide ratio gear-set works best with a 3.27 or 3.55-1 rear axle ratio."

well ive already pulled the AODE, and have a 4R70W going in, as soon as i get a good convertor, so well see how it works out.

My aode was all stock, except for a B&M shift improver kit, which really didnt do a whole lot, and a large tranny cooler.
The car had about 135k miles on it, when i pulled the tranny.. Now, after pulling the motor, i noticed a rebuilt sticker from Ford on the convertor, so i believe either the stock convertor gave out ( they are weak in the 94 aodes to begin with) or the whole tranny was rebuilt before i bought it..
I put atleast 30k hard miles on it, and right before i pulled it just started to notice a problem with it slipping under WOT in 4th. Then agian, my motor at the time was making somwhere near 700ftlbs of torque to the wheels, so needless to say, they can take some abuse,lol. The 95 AODE has a better convetor i believe, so your already one step ahead.

OinkAodeOink said:
well ive already pulled the AODE, and have a 4R70W going in, as soon as i get a good convertor, so well see how it works out.

My aode was all stock, except for a B&M shift improver kit, which really didnt do a whole lot, and a large tranny cooler.
The car had about 135k miles on it, when i pulled the tranny.. Now, after pulling the motor, i noticed a rebuilt sticker from Ford on the convertor, so i believe either the stock convertor gave out ( they are weak in the 94 aodes to begin with) or the whole tranny was rebuilt before i bought it..
I put atleast 30k hard miles on it, and right before i pulled it just started to notice a problem with it slipping under WOT in 4th. Then agian, my motor at the time was making somwhere near 700ftlbs of torque to the wheels, so needless to say, they can take some abuse,lol. The 95 AODE has a better convetor i believe, so your already one step ahead.

Hey Oink- I have a PI Multi-disc lock up converter Im looking to sell. Ill send it back to PI and have it freshend up and re stalled to whatever you want if you are interested.