Are all 351W balancers the same?

ForceFed70

That's why they call it "dope"
Founding Member
Dec 6, 1999
BC Canada
Thinking about swapping the balancer from my 1988 351W parts engine to my 1970 351W engine.

I believe all 351W's used 50oz unballance. So that should mean that all of the balancers are interchangeable right? Any gotcha's? Timing marks are all the same?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

All 351W balancers are 28 oz. The 88 Balancer's going to be different though I think from the 70 one. Check the pulley offset between the two, if that's the same, it'll work. To check the offset, run a tape measure thru the middle to the back edge that fits against the timing gear and out to the pulley flange.

just in case anyone ever does a search i'll add this info:

the 69 351w uses a 3 bolt balancer and the timing marks are different from the 70-up balancers. also there are something like 3 different 4 bolt balancers for the 70-up 351w plus a few "universal" ones from the aftermarket that include different sized spacers to space the crank pulley out to the correct place. all 351w balancers are interchangeable as well, meaning they will all fit any year 351w engine provided you are using the correct accessory setup. so you can use the 70 balancer on the 88 motor and use the 70 accessory drive system

Thanks Brian.

I'm also worried about the timing marks. Is there an easy way to confirm that the timing marks are in the same place without pulling the old balancer off? I don't want to start taking apart this engine for another month or so... still some cruisng time before winter. The engine that the balancer came off of has it's timing pointer in pretty much the same spot....

All 351W balancers are 28 oz. The 88 Balancer's going to be different though I think from the 70 one. Check the pulley offset between the two, if that's the same, it'll work. To check the offset, run a tape measure thru the middle to the back edge that fits against the timing gear and out to the pulley flange.

Yeah, the imbalance will be right but there are a number of bolt (3 bolt or 4 bolt) combinations at least.

Thanks Brian.

I'm also worried about the timing marks. Is there an easy way to confirm that the timing marks are in the same place without pulling the old balancer off? I don't want to start taking apart this engine for another month or so... still some cruisng time before winter. The engine that the balancer came off of has it's timing pointer in pretty much the same spot....

to my knowledge the timing pointers are all in the same place for the 70-up motors but it seems like some years used a different style of pointer even though it was in the same location. since you have both motors anyway just use the pointer that corresponds with whichever balancer you use. i'm going to assume that you'll be using the stock 70 model accessory drive so you'd need to use the 70 balancer and pointer.

UPDATE:

Turns out the balancer from the truck engine (guy that sold it to me says it was out of a 91 F150, but casting date code say '88) was a direct swap. Timing markers lined up, balance is right, and so is the crank pully spacing. Works perfectly.