? ASAP about dipstick

jimdrechsler

Jun 29, 2006
I changned the alternator and battery in my 99 CHEVY BLAZER yesterday at my parents house and forgot the dipstick! I drove it home about an hour w/o it. Can I continue to drive it around until I can get it again? Maybe a week from now, or is that not a good idea?

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

other then oil possible oil spray coming out of the tube and possible contamination it should be ok if this was done for a short drive and so on.

I would change the oil and replace the dipstick and you should be fine.

i drove it about 55 minutes home like this. looks like i am making a trip back out to my parents to pick it up. i went out to check it and realized i cant check it w/o the dipstick! :D duh!!! :rlaugh:
thanks for replies. i did not notice any oil sprayed around there though. long dip stick i guess!

im going to have to put a rag over it for a couple days as I cant get out there until Tuesday! I think that should be OK. I am due to change the oil anyway soon.

Instead of just a rag if you are unable to get a replacement dipstick for more than a couple days, you may want to toss a 2" - 4" long lag bolt with washer in there so that the bolt head sits on the washer and secure it with electrical tape.

i seriously doubt you will lose any oil out of the dipstick and if anything it will just be a vacuum leak....since the pcv valve pulls on the crankcase and the dipstick isnt there to plug the hole....but you should be fine until you replace it