Assemble order...dashpad then windshield?

Tim65GT

Feb 24, 2004
West Texas
I'm putting together... still. It sure looks a LOT easier putting the Dashpad on first, but does the front trim have to go on after the windshield and gasket?

It doesn't look like there would be much room left for the gasket.

But if I wait to install the trim, It looks near impossible to find the holes. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Windshield first. No question about it. Finding the holes for the trim screws is a bit of a challenge, but you get used to it. It's the only way to do it, but it makes access to the windshield gasket possible. Be sure to do the string-pull method when installing the rubber. It's a good trick that is really effective. Install rubber on glass, run a nice thick piece of string all the way around in the recess that goes around the windshield flange with plenty of slack to pull on. Place the assembly over the flange, go inside the car and pull the string, thereby moving the rubber lip inside the flange. After that is all in place, you can move to the dash pad and trim pieces. :nice:

Thanks!

Sounds like you've done it a few times.

Safelite is coming to install the backglass Saturday and I'm hoping I can talk 'em into helping me put the front back in. It came out rather easy, 'cause it was only in a year - the gasket was still soft. I was installing a headliner and it looked impossible without removing it.

Ozsum2 said:
On the headliner, only the rear had to come out.

That hasn't been my experience Oz. :shrug: I had to take out the windshield on the 2 headliners I've done. (Not that it specifically applies here, but you don't have to deal with the rear window in a 2+2 at all)

66 BLAKE 96 said:
That hasn't been my experience Oz. :shrug: I had to take out the windshield on the 2 headliners I've done. (Not that it specifically applies here, but you don't have to deal with the rear window in a 2+2 at all)

You are correct. I didn't take into account the fastback. I didn't see it mentioned at all. On my coupe, it needed to wrap around the rear edge, but I was able to tuck in under the front weatherstrip.

66 BLAKE 96 said:
Windshield first. No question about it. Finding the holes for the trim screws is a bit of a challenge, but you get used to it

The problem is the molding piece has screw holes in it that are quite far removed from the underlying sheet metal attachment point. This means you have to probe around somewhat to find screw holes. If you seem to have problems use a nail to probe for the hole. Finding the hole with a nail is a lot easier than finding it with the interior screw. Once you know the resting angle of the nail, its a lot easier to find the hole with the screw (because you know where the hole is located). Generally its better to use a bit longer screws than to mess with ones that seem too short; so stop by the Mustang parts store and buy some extra interior screws before you start the job.

When I replaced a '65 dash, the leading edge of the vinyl interfered with getting the screws in. I did a trial fit of the vinyl, then used a marker to mark the edge of the vinyl where the screws go. I then used a single hole paper punch to punch the vinyl where the screws go. In this manner I didn't have to screw through the vinyl itself, rather the screw simply went through the holes punched in the vinyl.

Ozsum2 said:
You are correct. I didn't take into account the fastback. I didn't see it mentioned at all. On my coupe, it needed to wrap around the rear edge, but I was able to tuck in under the front weatherstrip.

Just reread your post and it should make NO difference whether a FB or a Coupe on the front glass.
And since the back glass has to come out anyway.................... :shrug:

I can tell that at least I installed my headliner with the windshield and rearglass removed. I think it is possible to install headliner with winshield on its place, but if it´s already removed, put the headliner first.

Mosse said:
I can tell that at least I installed my headliner with the windshield and rearglass removed. I think it is possible to install headliner with winshield on its place, but if it´s already removed, put the headliner first.

Yea, the sun visor and rear mirror brackets help hold tension while you glue and tuck the rest of it.

geegee said:
The problem is the molding piece has screw holes in it that are quite far removed from the underlying sheet metal attachment point. This means you have to probe around somewhat to find screw holes. If you seem to have problems use a nail to probe for the hole. Finding the hole with a nail is a lot easier than finding it with the interior screw. Once you know the resting angle of the nail, its a lot easier to find the hole with the screw (because you know where the hole is located). Generally its better to use a bit longer screws than to mess with ones that seem too short; so stop by the Mustang parts store and buy some extra interior screws before you start the job.

When I replaced a '65 dash, the leading edge of the vinyl interfered with getting the screws in. I did a trial fit of the vinyl, then used a marker to mark the edge of the vinyl where the screws go. I then used a single hole paper punch to punch the vinyl where the screws go. In this manner I didn't have to screw through the vinyl itself, rather the screw simply went through the holes punched in the vinyl.

Excellent details. You are right on. :nice:

Ozsum2 said:
Just reread your post and it should make NO difference whether a FB or a Coupe on the front glass.
And since the back glass has to come out anyway.................... :shrug:

Heheh, I had to re-read yours too. :p On a fastback, there are interior trim panels that hold the headliner in place, not the rear window. That is neither here nor there, I just thought it was a good bit of info to throw in for someone that had one and had to do this job too.

I hadn't considered that the visors and mirror trim would help hold the tension at the front. This makes sense. I had just read and seen it done that part of the proceedure in headliner replacement was to remove the windshield. It just so happens that on the cars that I was working on that needed a new headliner, the windshield gasket was crapped out too, so it became a "while I'm at it" kind of situation. It sounds like it's possible to do without removing the windshield, but it was done before glass installation at the factory, whatever that's worth.