Attaching CDC Trim Pieces

marvinmycat

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
My CDC side exhaust rocker panels and side scoops should be back from paint tomorrow. I’m planning on attaching the side scoops with the 3M tape AND some sort of two part epoxy glue. The reason for this is that I had to back cut quite a bit of material from the scoop part that sits against the 98 side vents in order for it to fit exactly where I wanted them to as well as allow for the fabrication of aluminum vents made from the stuff they sell on MustangWorld.com (which, by the way, I converted to functional side vents. Ask if you want a how-to. It isn’t as easy as you would think!).

Any way, I’ll be using the 3M tape toward the outside area of the scoops while using an epoxy on the inside area. Also, I’m not entirely comfortable with only attaching the CDC side skirts for the exhaust with only the 3M tape and a screw on each end. Again, I’ll be using an epoxy below the tape for extra bonding power.

Two questions. One, what type of epoxy am I looking for, specifically brand name, and if possible the actual product name? Most of what I found never says that it will bond to paint, just metal and other materials, and I’m not about to sand off my paint.

Two, on the forward part of the 98’s, just in front of the door, there is a small, but separate piece of lower metal that doesn’t look to be attached, like the front clip is separate from the rest of the car. Is this front section built like this so that the front and back halves of the car can flex? I question this as the CDC side exhaust rocker panels don't have tape on them to go all the way to the front wheel well, and I don’t want to attach it there if it is going to twist and bind the rocker panels.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

the factory rockers are 2 piece. They're attached under the car with plastic clips that support it, along with screws in the wheel well area. The front section is about 5" long, right? When I put on my side exhaust, I had to drill 2 small holes in the very end to secure it in the factory areas in the wheel wells. Then I got double sided tape to secure it along the sides of the car, but I'm working on molding it onto the car with fiberglass and smoothing everything out because when I really get on it, the covers will rattle a little bit.

As far as epoxy, they're all the same. Depending on how cheap you wanna be, you might even be able to get away with outdoor caulking.......something similar to subfloor adhesive so it will bond in wet/vibration areas

Considering the money I spent on the kit, cheap is not an option. I want epoxy that would make King Kong's butt cheeks not come loose.

The reason I'm asking is that I looked at the shelf at an auto store and quickly became lost as there are epoxies that all say they do the same thing, but upon closer inspection, all bond different things together. Plus, I'll need a little working time with the stuff as I get the rockers to where they look good.

I will probably also put some 3M tape on that 5" piece near the wheel well, and use two screw per end instead of just one in lieu of what the directions call for. I'm also not using the pop rivets CDC supplied, and instead went out and got some stainless steel bolts, washers, nuts, and lock washers to use instead.

BTW, these are not the factory rockers or spats, I know how those go on, as I tore mine off in order to replace them with the CDC kit.