Attempted to get duals today...

• Sponsors (?)

Jiminie Cricket! I leave for a few days again and things get nuts again.

MSP,

You are doing a GREAT JOB with your mods and this thread. Your continuous enthusiasm and willingness to share your experience are greatly appreciated by myself and others. I think Jimp was trying to help but didn’t say things in a very diplomatic manner so it was easily construed as an insult. Once again … you’re doing a GREAT JOB with your upgrades and updates!! Thanks.

I can understand your frustration and disappointment with the dyno results but I don’t think you should be discouraged with your work. I seriously doubt the accuracy of that data. Unfortunately, dyno runs are pricey so it gets expensive doing them over and over. Go by what your “seat-o-the-pants” meter tells you. If you can feel a boost, then there probably is one. How does the car feel relative to when you first got it? Also, try a few 0-60 runs (safely!) and see if you can best 6.9 seconds (the quickest stock speed I’ve read).

I also think you need to have a custom tune done for that car which takes into account the exhaust work and intake mods. You mentioned the car was running lean, which makes sense for more airflow without computer altered fuel increases. I suggest forgetting about getting another dyno soon and spend the next chunk of cash you get on a SCT Xcal2 with some custom tunes related to your mods. (maybe that Bama-chips guy?) Also, what was the weather like the day you dynoed? Hot, cool, humid, dry? What elevation you at? You should dyno on a cool, dry day w/ plenty of air circulation during analysis.

I wouldn’t get too discouraged with the 4.0 just yet. There will be superchargers, nitrous, cams, heads, intake manifolds, etc. coming out soon. 4 liters is plenty big enough to make serious ponies. Heck, Bugatti squeezed 550 HP out of a 3.5 liter block. I kind of like the idea of nitrous although I have no experience with it. Seems like you can get the good mileage of the stock motor most of the time, but, have an extra 50-100 HP on tap for the very few times (hopefully) you want to race someone.

Besides, suspension upgrades are more fun IMO anyway.

Thnaks for the most kind words NJStangPilot!! I'm debating my options in regards to the engine dept. I think its just too soon to expect alot of aftermarktet upgrades.. I think more time will need to be given to discover the 4.0's potential.. We will have to wait and see..

MisterCMK

LOL!! Yes, the Dyno's are expensive.. I think the GTech may be in my short term future..

Between you and I, I have placed an order for a 2006 GT.. LOL!! Lets see what happens... If you understand my post in regards to $30,000 dollar engine build quotes, then you can see, just buying a GT is a bargin.. Give me 10 weeks, for round 2..

MSP said:
Thnaks for the most kind words NJStangPilot!! I'm debating my options in regards to the engine dept. I think its just too soon to expect alot of aftermarktet upgrades.. I think more time will need to be given to discover the 4.0's potential.. We will have to wait and see..

MisterCMK

LOL!! Yes, the Dyno's are expensive.. I think the GTech may be in my short term future..

Between you and I, I have placed an order for a 2006 GT.. LOL!! Lets see what happens... If you understand my post in regards to $30,000 dollar engine build quotes, then you can see, just buying a GT is a bargin.. Give me 10 weeks, for round 2..

So basically you've taken my advice. You've come to realize that I wasn't an "idiot" after all and I knew a little bit about what I was talking about and that I really was looking to help you. I'll accept your apology whenever you're ready to give it.

Jimp said:
So basically you've taken my advice. You've come to realize that I wasn't an "idiot" after all and I knew a little bit about what I was talking about and that I really was looking to help you. I'll accept your apology whenever you're ready to give it.

LOL!! Ok Jimp!! I apologize.. Only because I realize that you were not really trying to insult me..

But on that note.. Check this out.. I went back to the shop, I told them I wanted them to build me a motor and install it.. I was going to put down $7500 up front.. Then pay the other $7500 when the job was done.. I spent 3 hours trying to get this done.. They would not do it.. They said it would take $30,000 to pull it off.. I personally didnt understand.. Basically, a GT is cheaper.. So when I left, I will admit that I did think about you!.. LOL!! Damn, the irony.. Oh well..

In regards to the GT, I went down to get a GT the other day.. They have stopped making 05 GT's and are getting ready to ramp up on the 06's.. So I placed my order for a Windviel Bule one.. Right now, the wifes not happy about it, and it looks like I may have to cancel the order next week.. We'll see.. I am just so fed up man, I might just say screw it, and eventually get the 4.0 where I want it.. This has been a roller coaster for me, and I am tired of thinking about it.. Now, its either wait for the 06 GT in October, or buy a $36,000 dollar Roush today.. I'm not into buying a Mustang for $36 Grand unless it says Cobra on the side with GT500 on the SideSkirts.. LOL!!

Let this be a lesson to you all.. When you go buy your Mustang, dont buy it based on the feeling you have at the moment.. Think of how you will feel 1 yr from now..

My options are as follows.. Wait for the 06GT, in October, or just enjoy my 4.0 Eleanor.. For the sake of my own peace of mind and my wifes, I may just get the Eleanor kit, and be happy..

Dont get me wrong guys.. I love the way the V6 pulls.. Like I said, it pulls hard.. The Dyno really did traumatize me I guess.. LOL!! Reality bites I guess.. I am healing though.. Its a slow process.. LOL!

MSP said:
LOL!! Ok Jimp!! I apologize.. Only because I realize that you were not really trying to insult me..

But on that note.. Check this out.. I went back to the shop, I told them I wanted them to build me a motor and install it.. I was going to put down $7500 up front.. Then pay the other $7500 when the job was done.. I spent 3 hours trying to get this done.. They would not do it.. They said it would take $30,000 to pull it off.. I personally didnt understand.. Basically, a GT is cheaper.. So when I left, I will admit that I did think about you!.. LOL!! Damn, the irony.. Oh well..

In regards to the GT, I went down to get a GT the other day.. They have stopped making 05 GT's and are getting ready to ramp up on the 06's.. So I placed my order for a Windviel Bule one.. Right now, the wifes not happy about it, and it looks like I may have to cancel the order next week.. We'll see.. I am just so fed up man, I might just say screw it, and eventually get the 4.0 where I want it.. This has been a roller coaster for me, and I am tired of thinking about it.. Now, its either wait for the 06 GT in October, or buy a $36,000 dollar Roush today.. I'm not into buying a Mustang for $36 Grand unless it says Cobra on the side with GT500 on the SideSkirts.. LOL!!

Let this be a lesson to you all.. When you go buy your Mustang, dont buy it based on the feeling you have at the moment.. Think of how you will feel 1 yr from now..

My options are as follows.. Wait for the 06GT, in October, or just enjoy my 4.0 Eleanor.. For the sake of my own peace of mind and my wifes, I may just get the Eleanor kit, and be happy..

Dont get me wrong guys.. I love the way the V6 pulls.. Like I said, it pulls hard.. The Dyno really did traumatize me I guess.. LOL!! Reality bites I guess.. I am healing though.. Its a slow process.. LOL!

I don't know if you have one yet but I would recommend that you get an SCT-2. Trust me on this one, it makes a big difference in the way the car behaves. I think you'd be pretty happy with the car then. Try to stop worrying about dyno tests and what car you can beat because like I said, there will always be someone faster. I hope we're cool again because I really don't want any bad blood between us. :cheers: I love your enthusiasm! Just don't let it consume you! :nice:

Jimp said:
I don't know if you have one yet but I would recommend that you get an SCT-2. Trust me on this one, it makes a big difference in the way the car behaves. I think you'd be pretty happy with the car then. Try to stop worrying about dyno tests and what car you can beat because like I said, there will always be someone faster. I hope we're cool again because I really don't want any bad blood between us. :cheers: I love your enthusiasm! Just don't let it consume you! :nice:

LOL!! I have been consumed! I am starting to get over my Dyno results.. I must stress however, I truley think my car is pretty quick for a V6.. I am not at all down in the dumps about the SOTP dyno.. But yeah we're kool man.. I guess my stress over the dyno, lead me to read more into your post than was there... Sorry about that..

What I will do in the short term.. Should I not go for the GT in October, will be first to get the Eleanor kit installed and painted.. Then I will go back to the motor dept.. For my own health, I must let the engine stuff go for ahwile.. After my 3Hr experience trying to get a motor built, I decided this is getting way outta hand.. Now also knowing the dealer still holds my car quite valuable, this puts me in alot better position for alot of scenarios.. They are willing to only ding me $2,000 on my car on trade for the GT..

I'm not sure that you will be truly happy with the eleanor kit on the V6, maybe for a little while... until you have a 05 GT cause you some embarassment one day. How about slap the Eleanor Kit on the 06 GT? You only live once, why not be completely happy with your car choice?

echo7 said:
why not just wait for the shelby GT500??? :D

A very insightfull post.. LOL!! Yes Echo7, this is what has also caused my hesitation.. I am shocked you have been able to piece this together my man.. I guess you noticed I have failed to respond to the post.. This was precisley my thought... Why dont I just keep the V6, until the Cobra's hit the street, then just trade in at that time..

My only thought is how much the dealers are going to ask for the Cobra.. If its around $36,000, then I'm in.. My Tahoe cost me more.. My Tahoe was $45,000 LOL!!

So I see it like this.. Most guys around here want me to get the GT.. But why not just go for my 2nd Cobra?

This is quite an interesting scenario I find myself in.. I can see myself late next year with a GT, while guys are posting their love for the Ultimate Cobra.. Then I will be in the same boat once again.. I think at this point in time, my smartest move could be just getting the damn Cobra, killing all the birds with one stone.. LOL!!

I don't know if you have one yet but I would recommend that you get an SCT-2. Trust me on this one, it makes a big difference in the way the car behaves. I think you'd be pretty happy with the car then. Try to stop worrying about dyno tests and what car you can beat

Jimp agrees with me on this one. First off, forget about those dyno results. Personally, I don't believe them at all. I think the guys who did it are incompetent, mainly because they were giving you the run-a-round for weeks about doing it (probably because they were still reading the manual trying to figure out how to use it!!) Those guys don't sound like pros to me, they probably didn't even have the instrument calibrated or maintained properly.

Many stock V6's are dynoing from 189 to 199 depending on the instrument, car and run. If you can FEEL a difference in the power, then you have obviously made a significant improvement in the HP & Torque. I bet you are really making 195-200+ rwhp (cool/dry day).

If cashflow allows, definitely get a SCT Xcal2 with custom tunes set up for your mods. This will allow you to realize the full potential of your mods (for example; no lean condition), plus remove that annoying 1 second(+) WOT delay they engineered in.

I don't want to get you into trouble (we all appreciate you taking on the "forum-test pilot" role) but I would really like to know what your 0-60 time(s) are, both before and after the SCT Xcal2 tune.

Also, if (hypothetically) you were actually getting 250+ HP (crank) after the tune, would you still want to give up on the V6?? It's too soon for a lot of performance parts to be available for the V6. Headers are already out and I'm sure heads, int manifolds, nitrous, blowers, etc. will be along in the future.

There is really NO WAY your only getting 183 rwhp out of your engine. Unless you somehow happened to get a "lemon" engine from the factory. But, I'm pretty sure Ford dynos the motors following assembly. How can you make mods that give a noticeable boost in performance *and* be making less power than a stock motor!?!? I haven't seen a stock dyno that low.

Seriously, don't even think about having those guys dyno the car again. They were delaying your appointment while they were trying to read the instruction manual.

If you can do it safely, I'd like to see what your 0-60 time is after the proper tune (the more I think about it, the more I think this is *critical* for you due to the significant changes in airflow you made. Even a good CAI requires a retune)

Well, MSP, how bout i send this GTech that i will be getting shortly, that way we will be using the same GTech units for 3 different mustangs, showing us the reults from 3 different setups... Also, since it would be from the same unit, it would show change, even if they are inaccurate, it would still show a difference in power between the three.

Also, i had a race yesterday with a modded up 03 grand am 24 valve 3.4L v6, and it was very close and i know i wouldnt have won if it wasnt for the x-pipe setup. He could get almost a half car length between us on dead stop, but then by 30 i was starting to catch up, and 60-70 i was passing him and 80+ i had my whole car in front of him. So from a 0-60 race, he could probably beat me from my dead stop throttle lag, but anything over 70 i can take him. I am very impressed by how much power it had, and how he has it modded as a sleeper. I would have been embarased to be beaten by a gold 4-door grandaddy looking car.