Attn: Mike (stprorolla49) and anyone else comtemplating Cobra brakes

JJ95GTID said:
Did this kit include mounting brackets too?
I didn't see them listed as part of the kit.

The front doesn't have any particular brackets like the rear. The mounting brackets for the Cobra are part of the caliper, and bolt to the same location on the spindle as the GT. The rear is a whole different mounting system, so I decided to hold off on going that route until I tear into it, when I replace my tracloc with a 31 spline deal, since the axles have to come out anyway.

• Sponsors (?)

ok so the front kit you ordered from ford racing comes with everything to install cobra brakes in the front?

also i kind of have an ot question, I see the full cobra brake kit cost about 700$ front and back For 200$ more you can get the brembo big brake kit for the front (assuming your wheels will clear it).

the brembos still would perform better then the cobra full kit even though the rear brakes are stock gt correct?

ok so the front kit you ordered from ford racing comes with everything to install cobra brakes in the front?

also i kind of have an ot question, I see the full cobra brake kit cost about 700$ front and back For 200$ more you can get the brembo big brake kit for the front (assuming your wheels will clear it).

the brembos still would perform better then the cobra full kit even though the rear brakes are stock gt correct?

In my situation, I took into consideration that my car had lots of miles and years on it. I also wanted new brakes and just so happened to need new pads and rotors for the rear. Instead of just putting stock stuff in the rear, It was only $400 for the complete rear kit to swap to the cobra stuff: new/larger rotors, new calipers, and new pads. Another $400 got me the front Cobra kit.

Depending on economics, it may be a good idea to just throw on a complete set of new brake parts front and rear. The rear brakes don't work as hard as the front, but they are important.

I'm pretty sure that once you go the full Cobra route, upgrading later to even larger rotors and beefier calipers is not a big deal if you have a wheel that fits it. Just money at that point. :)

Brembos higher level brakes would probably perform better, but maybe not if the rears are stockers.

It should be said that bad tire tread depth, improper tire pressure, and/or worn out brake fluid will kill the effects of a great braking system.

Are the rotors that come in your kit coming with unpainted centers??? When i did my 13" kit last year, the brembos i got were not primered in the center. I had to paint them myself. I swore i could remember guys buying these kits 1-2 years ago and getting rotors with a gray primer int he center to prevent rust??

Anyway i painted up my Mach 1 brakes before i put them on the car. I used high temp engine paint on the rotor and the Duplicolor caliper kit on the caliper.

This is a 1 year later pic with no touching up! :)
pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=1042176

Yes, they were unpainted in the center. I didn't paint them for now, but I think later on (next week), i'll be doing it. Didn't feel that ambitious when I installed them. I was in desperate need of new brakes, and these were just in time.