Autometer gauges install

XLR8TR

Jul 11, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Hello fellow gearheads...I bought a set of Autometer gauges (all electrical except O/P) and thought that I could simply splice them into the factory gauge cluster harness, but the instructions that came with them didn't mention installing them that way.

My question is has anyone done an install by splicing directly into the factory wire harness, or is it better to run all new wiring to each individual gauge?

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

you cant splice them into the fox stuff. the elctric gauges are matched to auometers senders.do a search and you will see most guys run both after market and the stock stuff with a little bit of work.

You wouldn't want to sp;ice it into the factory harness anyway. That's where a lot of the inaccuracy is.

Run the independant...you'll get more accurate results that way

Yea, I was lookin for the easy way out to put them in since I don't have alot of free time, and thought splicing it in would be quick. But there's no shortcut to quality or doing a job right the first time, so I won't be hacking into the wire harness, leaving it alone.

And also here's a quote from the Autometer website: "Electrical temperature and pressure gauges require the use of a sender matched for the type of gauge in use; the stock sender will only work with the stock gauges. Auto Meter gauges are designed to work with the Auto Meter sender that is included with the gauge."

I didn't get a sender for the water temp gauge, (I accidentally ordered the electical one) so I'm sending it back to Jeg's and getting the mechanical one that I meant to order in the first place.

Thanks for the replies, I'll post the results when I get done.

Does anyone have any actual data saying that mechanical gauges are any more accurate than high quality electrics? All I see is people saying electric suck and to get mechanical but where is the data to back this up? Is this just another internet myth? I have all electric gauges and have no problem with them and they are way easier to hook up.

That's fine, you have your opinion and I have mine. Electric gauges ARE more expensive. If your elec gauges are full sweep then they will be fine, I would avoid the short sweep gauges as they can be more difficult to read accurately.
I PERSONALLY, prefer mechanical as IN MY OPINION, they are very simple to install and are less expensive.

That's fine, you have your opinion and I have mine. Electric gauges ARE more expensive. If your elec gauges are full sweep then they will be fine, I would avoid the short sweep gauges as they can be more difficult to read accurately.
I PERSONALLY, prefer mechanical as IN MY OPINION, they are very simple to install and are less expensive.

thats a much better post then this

Electric gauges are twice the money and less accurate. Save yourself the hassle and get mechanical

Mechanical gauges are easier to install in my opinion. I just pulled my autometer electrical gauges out and replaced them with mechanicals. To do a mech oil gauge correctly you need to use a 6' steel braided hose which adds to the cost. Mechanical gauges give you a better reading.

I only use mechanical gauges in my junk. I like to know that unless the gauge fell out of the car, it is working, not having to rely on a electrical sending unit or worry about a wire getting ripped out when my blower belt explodes off the front of the motor is reason enough for me! I really think they are both just as accurate, I just feel like the mechanical are more reliable.

that may be one of the dumbest things ive ever heard

+1
Electrical gauges are not less accurate. Mechanical gauges are just cheap, that is all!

A good way to splice is, IF you have an aftermarket radio harness, you can pull your ground, switched, and interior lights off that. They are clearly labeled and well under the rating of the 15A circuit. Be sure to splice using either proper connectors or solder/heatshrink. No twist & tape crap!

If you are going to get a mechanical water temp gauge you will need an adapter to install the sending unit in the port on the intake. The gauge comes with an adapter that is for 1/2" npt and the port on the intake on a Mustang is 3/8" npt.

IIRC this is the one that I had to use with my install. Auto Meter 2263 - Auto Meter Temperature Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I was lucky and was able to find it at the local speed shop.

full sweep electrical gauges are just as accurate as mechanical. Using the supplied sendind units they will last the life of the car and you will never have an issue. I run the electric autometer phantom oil press and water temp gauges in my car and not once has there been any problems. Install was as simple as putting in the sending units and running a positive and negative wire.

Now I dont have to worry about broken lines spewing hot oil or coolant into cab of the car.

Someone above said it's alright to pull the 12v and lights from your radio harness. I'm still planning on running a ground to the engine bay to ensure it is solid. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm installing Autometer electric oil and temp.