Average rwhp for H/C/I cars?

Ethereal Zer0

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2002
Everett, WA
What is the average rwhp of a H/C/I car, one with lets say....AFR 165s, FTI cam, and a Cobra or similar intake. Also, i'm just curious, why are ppl using AFR 165s on their cars instead of the 185s? Would you guys suggest the 185s in a 331/347 stroker application over the 165s? Why or why not? Thanks for the answers guys!

• Sponsors (?)

There was a guy on here that had AFR 165's, a crane cam (I think), and a TMOSS ported Cobra lower. He made a little over 300rwhp and somewhere in the 320's for torque. TMOSS will be able to tell you the exact stuff if he see's this post.

Most people use the 165's on a stock bottom end because of piston to valve clearance problems. The 185's use 2.02" intake valves where the 165's use 1.90". There have been some people very succesful with 185's on stock bottom ends if you search around on the corral 5.8/5.0 Tech Section. I don't know personally how they perform on the low end compared to the 165's.

185's or 205's would be better for a 331/347 combo. That's just because you have more cubes and need more air flow in there.

Jake

A 331 will always have new pistons, so it's easy to set them up for the larger valves. Also, a strokers will create more torque by virtue of the longer stroke, so that will make up for some of the loss at lower RPM.

Personally I could care less about torque under 2,000 rpm, if my engine will idle and it's a monster past 3,500. I think most people building strokers have a similar mindset.

The 185's are the biggest AFR's without a raised exhaust port, so you can use stock style exhaust and they won't turn in to a restriction unless you spin it really high, so it fits the bill nicely.

I really like the way the cobra intake looks, but everything I read and everyone I talked to said that it would be a bottle neck on a stroker with good heads. That is the reason it's going to stay on my smog motor and the roush will go on my stroker. Lots of people choose the holley systemax or a trick flow R (I think) for the strokers and have good power #'s.

well I dont know if anyone wants to share knowldge on another stupis "how much" question but with the mods lited below and a good dyno tune what coulod I be at time and power wise...I want 12's on the street and close to 300.

I made 283 rwhp and 346 rwtq with the stock tranny and stock converter, but with a different cam. I have never redynoed the car with the art carr or with the blower cam.

I disagree with the crappy comment, because it's all about what's under the curve, and with an fti cam it's all under the curve. Meaning, you make more consistent power longer. Rather than being a peaky dyno queen. :notnice:

GTJake said:
There was a guy on here that had AFR 165's, a crane cam (I think), and a TMOSS ported Cobra lower. He made a little over 300rwhp and somewhere in the 320's for torque. TMOSS will be able to tell you the exact stuff if he see's this post.

Jake

MattZ281LE made 306.5HP and 329.4 RWTQ peaks with average (what to really look at) torque from 2,000-6,000 rpm at 295 ft-lbs. He used the Crower 15511 cam and a Cobra intake with the lower ported by me with his AFR 165 heads.

HairyCanary said:
Some of us get nice torque (314) but crappy horsepower (278).

Dave
lol i hate to admit it Dave, but you are actually the reason this question popped into my head...I just can't justify throwing down 2k for 25rwhp lol. hmmm....but you guys are saying on a stroker motor things would be a little different eh? Anyone know of someone making 350+rwhp on a stroker motor? (302 based stroker that is)

Ethereal Zer0- There are plenty of people making over 350rwhp with both 331's and 347's. Search on the corral's 5.8/5.0 Engine Tech Section, I just saw an untuned 347 combo break 400rwhp with the stock A9L computer. If nothing is wrong with your shortblock I would definitley consider getting some heads and a cam. You should be able to expect 300rwhp with a properly setup combo. I'll let you know what mine does this spring.

Jake

Ethereal Zer0 said:
lol i hate to admit it Dave, but you are actually the reason this question popped into my head...I just can't justify throwing down 2k for 25rwhp lol. hmmm....but you guys are saying on a stroker motor things would be a little different eh? Anyone know of someone making 350+rwhp on a stroker motor? (302 based stroker that is)
Well, keep in mind two things then:

1. My motor isn't running right. My torque curve is a lot higher than Killercanary's (very similar setup) at low RPM, and a lot lower at high RPM. Something is up, because that's not right. If I could push the torque curve up 700 RPM (it currently peaks at 3800 RPM), I would put down a little more than 300 rwhp.

2. There's peak horsepower, and then there's power under the curve. AFR165's are among the best heads at providing under the curve power. Killercanary runs *low* 12's with less than 300 rwhp. :D

Dave

My 331 with the nitrous grind cam got 373rwhp... I just swapped over to an FTI cam that is ground for a n/a setup.. Im not really hoping to make any more rwhp but im hoping to make more torque.

My old 92 setup... Bennet stage 2 edebrock heads 1.94/1.60s, lunatie 51041 cam, Bennet ported edelbrock performer intake (not RPM). On top of a bone stock 302 shortblock. Ran 12.20s 3325lbs with driver.

315 rwhp
342 rwtq

Badlilstang said:
My 331 with the nitrous grind cam got 373rwhp... I just swapped over to an FTI cam that is ground for a n/a setup.. Im not really hoping to make any more rwhp but im hoping to make more torque.

My old 92 setup... Bennet stage 2 edebrock heads 1.94/1.60s, lunatie 51041 cam, Bennet ported edelbrock performer intake (not RPM). On top of a bone stock 302 shortblock. Ran 12.20s 3325lbs with driver.

315 rwhp
342 rwtq

hmmm.....now you guys really have me thinking lol. *heads over to the corral to search*