AWD EcoBoost Mustang in 2012???

How do you feel about Ford making an AWD, twin turbo V6 EcoBoost, Mustang?

• I don't care if they make it or don't make.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • It's a cool idea, but I wouldn't buy one.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I'm down right against the whole idea.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I would definately consider buying one.

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
Having an AWD vehicle with over 300 hp is awesome. 2000 volvo v70r. For people in harsh winters CANADA, having to put away a GT for 5-6 months of the year sucks. I'd bet Ford has looked into this somewhere and you gotta think some engineer has plans for it and just needs to convince the right executives to make it happen. oh yeah the look on people's face when you pull away from a muscle car at the lights in a volvo station wagon is just plain awesome!

Can you imagine pulling away from an AWD SUV/Truck on a snowy day in a Mustang?! Now that would also be cool. Can't do it in a GT though. ;)

• Sponsors (?)

I agree, that AWD Mustang probably won't happen, just dreaming. I do think ford needs something to compete with the STI's and EVO's out there though. An EcoBoost AWD Fusion would be pretty sweet, still not a Mustang, but pretty sweet. Only if they price it right though.

The V6 sport fusion they have now seems pretty cool, but I don’t feel like 265hp is really enough to compete. That and it’s probably heavier than the smaller turbo 4’s.

If they brought back the Cougar with AWD I would be in heaven. Although I think they should base the Cougar off the Mustang platform as it was in the 60’s. Therefore, if you can make an AWD Cougar you can make an AWD Mustang.

Ford could very well compete with STIs and Evos for what I think would be fairly cost-effective for them. The AWD Fusion would make for an excellent platform with the Focus RS's engine from overseas. It would also do well to drop in the rumored 315 hp V6 that is supposedly slated for the next V6 Mustang.

Ford could very well compete with STIs and Evos for what I think would be fairly cost-effective for them. The AWD Fusion would make for an excellent platform with the Focus RS's engine from overseas. It would also do well to drop in the rumored 315 hp V6 that is supposedly slated for the next V6 Mustang.
I think to compete the Fusion would have to be 4 cyl Turbo. The current V6 model is already 500 lbs *corection 408 lbs, not 500* heavier than the STI and has 40 less hp and torque.

The 4 cyl Fusion is only 50 lbs lighter than the STI. It will probably gain some weight going Turbo and suspension/brake upgrades. A regular Impreza is 320 lbs lighter than the STI.

I just noticed they now offer four different stages for the Impreza:

2.5i = 170hp
2.5GT = 224hp
WRX = 265 hp
WRX STI = 305 hp

The Fusion “somewhat” has the first three covered. lol

I think to compete the Fusion would have to be 4 cyl Turbo. The current V6 model is already 500 lbs heavier than the STI and has 40 less hp and torque.

The 4 cyl Fusion is only 50 lbs lighter than the STI. It will probably gain some weight going Turbo and suspension/brake upgrades. A regular Impreza is 320 lbs lighter than the STI.

I just noticed they now offer four different stages for the Impreza:

2.5i = 170hp
2.5GT = 224hp
WRX = 265 hp
WRX STI = 305 hp

The Fusion “somewhat” has the first three covered. lol

The 2.5GT is last year's WRX. People were upset with the ugliness and plainness of the WRX so Subaru granted their wishes by giving it a more aggressive look and more power. It's ironic that I think the WRX looks better than the STI, and what's even more ironic is that the WRX is faster from 0-60 than the STI, undoubtedly due to longer gears from the 5spd vs. the STI's 6spd.

As for the weight, are you trying to tell me the Fusion AWD V6 weighs 3900 lbs? The STI tips the scales at around 3400 lbs now.

The 2.5GT is last year's WRX. People were upset with the ugliness and plainness of the WRX so Subaru granted their wishes by giving it a more aggressive look and more power. It's ironic that I think the WRX looks better than the STI, and what's even more ironic is that the WRX is faster from 0-60 than the STI, undoubtedly due to longer gears from the 5spd vs. the STI's 6spd.

As for the weight, are you trying to tell me the Fusion AWD V6 weighs 3900 lbs? The STI tips the scales at around 3400 lbs now.

Per MSN Autos:

Fusion Sport V6 Weighs 3803 lbs
WRX STI weighs 3395 lbs

I guess I can't "add good" today, the Fusion is only 408 lbs heavier...

Everyones getting FAT..... 3800lb fusion, 4300lb Taurus Sho, 4200lb buick lacrosse...... Seems thats whats in lol.... its sad that just less than a decade ago I remember 3400lbs was fat. Anyway, looks like its the way of automobiles these days.

Yeah, I know right. The 4 cyl manual is only 3285 lbs though. Add ~300 lbs to that for turbo and other goodies and you are up to ~3600 lbs (about 200 lbs heavier than STI). Not terrible if they can make it about 325hp. :rlaugh:

Well, you got some ppl who think that a wieght gain is horrible, as long as its engineered right , I dont see a problem. I mean are ppl trying to say that an AMG mercedes is a piece of junk because it tips near 4000lbs.....please lol. Line up to a good ole AMG and think that just because its heavy your going to pull it.

Safty is the top priority now adays, theres alot they have to meet..... Lighter would be great...but its not goint to happen in todays times....I guess we have to deal with it, but I dont think we'll be disapointed.
Bye Bye AMG

Everyones getting FAT..... 3800lb fusion, 4300lb Taurus Sho, 4200lb buick lacrosse...... Seems thats whats in lol.... its sad that just less than a decade ago I remember 3400lbs was fat. Anyway, looks like its the way of automobiles these days.

No, it's only "in" for the domestics. Everyone talks about how these cars need to hit safety regulations for 2012, and that obviously also includes the imports. It seems that Nissan managed to keep costs at nearly the same level as the 350Z with the 370Z, yet found a way to not only meet new safety standards, but lose over 200 lbs in the process.

Don't tell me it can't be done without significantly raising prices, and don't tell me, "Look how small the 370Z is." Being that the 370Z is smaller than cars like the Mustang and Camaro, I'd have reason to believe that it would be easier to trim 200 lbs from a larger vehicle than a small one.

Well I'd hate to see it bit someday it will happen.. Hopefully when I'm old or dead because they slowly kill off our muscle cars look at the following today the poor impala :( Malibu ... Charger ... Ford hasn't done us wrong lately (excluding the mustang II) so they are due to acre us over real good

No, it's only "in" for the domestics. Everyone talks about how these cars need to hit safety regulations for 2012, and that obviously also includes the imports. It seems that Nissan managed to keep costs at nearly the same level as the 350Z with the 370Z, yet found a way to not only meet new safety standards, but lose over 200 lbs in the process.

Don't tell me it can't be done without significantly raising prices, and don't tell me, "Look how small the 370Z is." Being that the 370Z is smaller than cars like the Mustang and Camaro, I'd have reason to believe that it would be easier to trim 200 lbs from a larger vehicle than a small one.

All these cars are 2.4/5L 4 Cyl with Manual. The Fusion is right there in the middle and the Acura TSX is a real fat a**!!

2010 Fusion = 3285
2010 Camry = 3263
2010 Accord = 3230
2010 TSX = 3400
2010 Sonata = 3327

All these cars are 2.4/5L 4 Cyl with Auto. The Ford is not the heaviest and Nissan must have exceptionally light vehicles.

2010 Fusion = 3342
2009 Altima = 3112
2009 Glalant = 3395

All together I don't think the Fusion is that much heavier like you say it is.

Its platform I dont believe would be AWD compatable.... Nice thinking bud, lol but Ford isnt going to do it. Your stuck with the Taurus :)

Like I said, when I win the lottery...lol.

I wonder if I could get a government grant to build an AWD Mustang and present it to Ford. That could be my "job". Then when I'm done the Mustang could be my "company car". :D

the chassis wont support AWD. Just no way to run the front drivetrain components. Would i buy am AWD Stang? hell yes. i had to sell my 03 gt because i needed AWD. The infiniti AWD system is a blast. its RWD Most of the time so its fun to drive