axel bearings on my 4-runner

MaroonMustangGT

Apr 25, 2005
just thought i'd get some advice, the toyota dealer says my axel bearings are toast. they want 600 in parts and 600 in labor. (1200 total) is this crazy? or does it sound about right? is this something i could do myself? is it a big deal?

• Sponsors (?)

600 just for axle bearings? Dear God...:nonono:

600 for labor sounds incredibly high also. Its not like they have to drop the axle or anything.

Dealerships are called Stealerships for a reason, id get an estimate from a private shop that does good work first.

As for doing it yourself, with the right tools and a Haynes manual I dont see why not. Its not like mechanics are superhuman.

shouldnt be that difficult of a job. ask for a written detailed estimate with all the parts. the diff on that is gonna look a lot like the one on a mustang. i think its a front loader, but i havent looked closely at one in a while.

MaroonMustangGT said:
just thought i'd get some advice, the toyota dealer says my axel bearings are toast. they want 600 in parts and 600 in labor. (1200 total) is this crazy? or does it sound about right? is this something i could do myself? is it a big deal?
ok, i guess i should speak up since i have some inside knowledge. the axle bearings go pretty often on most Toyota SUVs. they are a pretty big PITA. you do have to pull both axles, cut the old bearings off, and press on the new ones. it is easily a 4.5 hour job, 2 for a good tech, but we wont go there. if you plan on keeping the car for at least another 6 months, bite the bullet.