Axle Back Exhaust Cabin Drone

07gtcs

Dec 7, 2006
I recently bought an 07 GT/CS and I love it. The only complaint is the lack of sound out of the stock mufflers. I ended up buying a set of MAC axle backs. Drove it to work one day and when I came back home I removed them since I couldn't even think due to so much cabin drone. The person I bought it from has agreed to exchange them, and has offered a set of Bassani SS...he says they don't cause cabin drone.

I want a nice throaty sound while accelerating, etc. but I do not want cabin drone, especially while cruising.

Any experiences?

• Sponsors (?)

My Flows drone around 1500-2000 rpm under a load(slight acceleration or going up hill at slow speeds. There is absolutely no drone at highway cruising speed!!! It's not that bad. MUCH better than the '95 Auto GT I used to have...that drove me nuts!!!!! Alot more power and better tranny makes a huge difference with the '05+ Auto's. BTW, I love some drone.....

MAC AXLEBACK

I bought the same axlebacks for my 07 GT. At 2000 rpms in 5th gear which is aobut 55-60 mph the drone is loud! I guess I'll take mine off as well, unfortunately i don't think where i bought them will take them back. I'd also be interested in recs for something deeper than stock and a little louder but not that loud!

drsam - I had the same problem with the MACs. In 5th gear it will drone so much I had to crank up the Shaker to be able to think...I could even feel the entire cabin vibrate. It would totally go away if I downshifted (out of overdrive since mine is auto).

I bought the MACs for $300, and to exchange them to Bassanis it will cost me an extra $150...plus I have to pay for shipping the MACs back. If I install the Bassanis and they still produce cabin drone...I'll end up removing them again, and I don't think I will be able to exchange them. That means I'm stuck with trying to sell them on eBay or something.

Is there not a set out there that sound great without producing any drone in a GT Auto?

I have a set of SLP LMs on mu automatic and I don't have any drone at all.

In fact inside the car at idle they're quieter than the Borla Stingers and seem only slightly louder than stock.

at WOT it's a different story. They get loud then, lol....But it sounds great....

I'd have to say that without any other exhaust modifications (headers/mid-pipe) that the SLP LM is the best to get. My best friend had them on his stock 06 and they sound great, especially at start-up. They have a slight gurgle to them at start up and all.

Actually, I have a really good video comparing it from stock to SLP, why did I not think of this before??

Stock vs. SLP LM

It's 4 minutes long and have speakers hooked up. 100% work safe (the very last clip has a sticker that says Fuel Sl*t if you want to "x" out before then)

Edit: It even does interior shots so you get to hear how it sounds in cabin.

From doing a little research, it appears that cabin drone is different on pre '05s since the Mufflers sit further in the chassis. My Mufflers sit right in front of the rear bumper's cover where pre '05 they sit further up towards the front.

From doing a little research, it appears that cabin drone is different on pre '05s since the Mufflers sit further in the chassis. My Mufflers sit right in front of the rear bumper's cover where pre '05 they sit further up towards the front.

Yeah...Pre-05's sat under the backseat and the resonating point was "inside" the cabin. Now the resonating point is "inside" the trunk since the muffler sits right behind the bumper.

I'd have to say that without any other exhaust modifications (headers/mid-pipe) that the SLP LM is the best to get. My best friend had them on his stock 06 and they sound great, especially at start-up. They have a slight gurgle to them at start up and all.

Actually, I have a really good video comparing it from stock to SLP, why did I not think of this before??

Stock vs. SLP LM

It's 4 minutes long and have speakers hooked up. 100% work safe (the very last clip has a sticker that says Fuel Sl*t if you want to "x" out before then)

Edit: It even does interior shots so you get to hear how it sounds in cabin.

That is one awesome video. Those LMs sound great. I just received an email from the guy I bought the MACs from and after telling me to ship them back, he is asking if they appear to be installed...duh! I told him that I installed them and removed them the same day. It appears I'm stuck with them in a box...

I had the same problem, bought the Macs and regretted it big time, now waiting to see if the place i bought them will help me out. I dont think the Ford Racing mufflers would be as bad, but im just guessing.

I recently bought an 07 GT/CS and I love it. The only complaint is the lack of sound out of the stock mufflers. I ended up buying a set of MAC axle backs. Drove it to work one day and when I came back home I removed them since I couldn't even think due to so much cabin drone. The person I bought it from has agreed to exchange them, and has offered a set of Bassani SS...he says they don't cause cabin drone.

I want a nice throaty sound while accelerating, etc. but I do not want cabin drone, especially while cruising.

Any experiences?

Mac's are NOTORIOUS for drone at the 1800-2000rpm zone. I have these on my '05 and it drove me nuts, so I added a Bassani catted xpipe, which reduced the drone a bit, then bbk shorty headers, which made the drone livable and ended up with an awesome exhaust. Search on "jwgroovin" on YouTube for some videos of the Mac, Mac + Bassani, and Mac+Bassani+BBK shorties.

FWIW, I put Magnaflow catback on my '97 GT convertible, and there is ZERO drone, and a nice growl only at wide open throttle. Obviously this became my daily driver for commutes...

John

hoboattacker,did your friend just get the axleback system of slp because im tryin to find a catback and they dont seem to sell them.was lookin at a set of bassani ss mid pipes.im lookin for a setup so can u tell me what hes got.thanks