bad ball joints, new part question

oo7thenova

Founding Member
Aug 31, 2001
CALIFORNIA
i want to replace my ball joints on my 89 mustang.

i see that summit has Ford Front Control arms.they come with ball joints

Does anybody know how easy is it to install the a arms?

thanks

Attachments

• fms-m3075a.jpg
    fms-m3075a.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Sponsors (?)

It really doesn't seem necessary to replace the entire a-arm just because the balljoints are bad. Why not just replace the balljoints? It's waaay easier to replace to balljoints rather than replacing the a arm.

88POSLX said:
A snipe would be a handle extension. In my case, I use the handle off the jack and put it on the ratchet increasing my leverage. A long handled breaker bar would probably work.

if the ball joint doesn't fall off or come off after i separate it for the spindle.

do i hit it with pickle fork? or just a hammer? in you article it says BFH.

also can the bolt break when i'm hitting the ball joint with the pickle fork to separate it?

thanks man, This is my first time doing it. It looks pretty straight forward.

also anything i should look out for when i'm pressing the joint In? or it just pops in?

oo7thenova said:
if the ball joint doesn't fall off or come off after i separate it for the spindle.

do i hit it with pickle fork? or just a hammer? in you article it says BFH.

also can the bolt break when i'm hitting the ball joint with the pickle fork to separate it?

thanks man, This is my first time doing it. It looks pretty straight forward.

also anything i should look out for when i'm pressing the joint In? or it just pops in?

BFH - Big F***ing Hammer. No, the bolt will not break. That is why the pickle fork is made the way it is, to go around the bolt. Besides, if you look at the suspension you'll notice that bolt is all that ties the suspension together. My guess is it's a very strong bolt.

If you look at your new balljoints, you'll see a lip around the lower part. You want to press the joint in until that lip is up against the bottom of your control arm. It is a press fit, so get it going straight and crank with all your might. If the balljoint just pops in then you need to replace the arm.