Bad idle and stalling problem....

Vinnietbird

Jun 2, 2005
I have an '88 T-Bird with the folowing...

5.0 H.O
E303 cam
AOD with shift kit (stock converter....sorry)
Mass Air conversion (70mm meter)
BBK shorty headers
Pypes off road x-pipe
Flowmasters
Explorer intake/65mm throttlebody
a/c and smog delete (a/c going on in the somewhat near future)

The problem is,the car sits in park or neutral,it'll idle with a "rumpity,rumpity" type sound (the E303 did that,but it sounds really god).Half the time when I put the car in gear,it'll die,or when I come to a stop it dies.The tranny has to be bumped into neutral in order to keep the car idling at a stop light.The car lacks in low end power (I'm guessing the stock converter is killing me),but LOVES the mid and top end.I do have everything needed for a 5 speed swap coming up in the next few weks as time allows.Anyway,why do you think the car dies like that?When it's at idle in Park,it's around 900-950 rpm's.Any lower and I can barely keep it running on it's own.The exhaust tips have black soot in them as well.I have an adjustable FPR for the car,but still have to get the pressure gauge,The 5 speed has taken the funds lately.Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

See the "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle/stall problems. The first two posts contain all the updates to the fixes. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes] for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.