Bad news!

oosmytoo

Founding Member
Jun 21, 2002
Portland - Oregon
well last weekend we finished my friends trick flow kit, has been running fine for 3 or 4 days now (maybe 50 miles). so today were driving along, stopped at a light. Then the cars idle began to jump up and down, then stalled, and followed by a quik "snap" (same sound when you snap a bolt off). We got out and took a quik look at things, all appeared to be fine. Checked the oil, still perfectly clear (not metallic at all). So I pulled the dizzy cap off and had him turn it over, and the rotor didnt move!

Once we got it back to my place, I pulled the dizzy out, checked the gear/shear pin. Its seems to be ok. So now im thinkin' its the timing chain? dont have time to tear into it tonight, but i wanna get some of your thoughts. Also, say if the timing chain did break, somehow? would that mess anything else up?:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

From my experiences, when the rotor does not move it means the cam gear is ground down to nothing, or the dist gear is ground down. I have had it happen on both end too. You really gotta take a good look at the cam gear with a flashlight to see if there is wear.

DId you happen to use a rollmaster timing chain?

yellow1995Cobra said:
From my experiences, when the rotor does not move it means the cam gear is ground down to nothing, or the dist gear is ground down. I have had it happen on both end too. You really gotta take a good look at the cam gear with a flashlight to see if there is wear.

DId you happen to use a rollmaster timing chain?
yup used the rollmaster chain w/ the bronze bushing! figured out what happened, when we put the timing gear on, the bronze bushing was not on there right, and we didnt notice! so it must have wobbled, and it broke the chain! somehow it chewed up the thrust plate pretty bad too. So hopefully it didnt screw anything up in the valvetrain! but tomarrow im gonna get the new parts asap! And VERY CAREFULLY put it back together.

What do you guys think? Do you think everything else is ok?

oosmytoo said:
yup used the rollmaster chain w/ the bronze bushing! figured out what happened, when we put the timing gear on, the bronze bushing was not on there right, and we didnt notice! so it must have wobbled, and it broke the chain! somehow it chewed up the thrust plate pretty bad too. So hopefully it didnt screw anything up in the valvetrain! but tomarrow im gonna get the new parts asap! And VERY CAREFULLY put it back together.

What do you guys think? Do you think everything else is ok?

I had washer issues as well. Luckily the chain never broke. Instead the cam gear wore down so badly the cam was junk. Apparently the cam was walking back and fourth.

When a timing chain lets go, the pistons are likely to hit the valves which are open at that point. I hope for your sake they didnt.

Good luck, let us know what you find.