Bassani Mid-Length Header Question

damacman

Aug 12, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone have a 2k3 SOHC with these installed? The mags seem to love 'em, but the local Mustang shops caution that they don't fit properly. The slip apart design is attractive for ease of installation, as is the fact that they don't hang down as far as L/Ts. Clearance is a major concern already, as I can't get over speed-bumps now without scraping -- so L/Ts may not be an option.

Any input?

• Sponsors (?)

There is a guy on this board that has the Bassini mid-lengths, catted x pipe, and catback. I think his name is Tom Martin. He had some problems with getting the x-pipe to fit to the mid-lengths and had to modify them to get it to work. I was disappointed to hear this as Bassini's web site make it sound like these are easy bolt ons. The x-pipe and the mid-lengths are suppossed to be able to work together - they aren't going to sell too many of them if thats not true.

Maybe Tom will chime in...

I just ordered the ceramic coated mid-length headers and matching off-road x-pipe from Houston Performance yesterday. They have the best deal, by the way. The headers bolt up just fine, but you have to cut and weld the mid pipe to fit just right. THEN you can bolt the mid pipe to the headers. Piece of cake, right?? Hope this helps

Scheister -- My concern was that the headers did NOT fit properly. When you get yours, do share your installation experience with me.

I guess I don't understand why one would have to do any welding with all Bassani made parts . . .

Thanks!

Well,

I have the set-up that you are asking about. I had them installed a few weeks ago, so I will give you my impression.

1st, they were easier to put in then other mids, due to their design.

2nd they do not hand lower so you will have no clearence issues.

3rd they DO NOT fit right up to the cated-x-pipe, even though I was told they would. they cut about 12 inches off of my catted x-pipe, including the area where the o2 sensors are installed. They had to weld on new o2 sensor holes.

In the end it cost me about 180 bucks (california) to make them fit up to each other.

impression= now one thing I know is I LOVe the sound of the car when it starts up in the morning, and the flow is good. My problem is my car flows so well now that my car doesn't wake-up until about 3000 rpms, but after that hold on.

No,

I emailed bassani (can forward there response if you want) and they told me that nothing they make is smog legal in the x-pipe- or header area. NOTHING. I have three emails from a woman name Rebbeca drilling that into my head.

Now the good news is on 4.6 you can't even see the headers from the top, and from the bottom they don't hang any lower then normal headers, that is why I got them.

Even if their was a carb number on them no smog place would be able to see them.

stallion98gt said:
I remember reading someone tellling that bassani suggested using a 03 cobra mid pipe with their headers...in that case you don't need to cut/weld them... :shrug:

yes, you can get the Cobra catted mid pipe to match the mid-length headers. But, I wanted off road, and the price DIFFERENCE was $200. So, I figured, it was worth the savings to go with the 3-piece mid-pipe. But if you don't know how to weld, or do not have access to one, you better buy the Cobra pipe.

damacman said:
Does anyone have a 2k3 SOHC with these installed? The mags seem to love 'em, but the local Mustang shops caution that they don't fit properly. The slip apart design is attractive for ease of installation, as is the fact that they don't hang down as far as L/Ts. Clearance is a major concern already, as I can't get over speed-bumps now without scraping -- so L/Ts may not be an option.

Any input?
I don't think you will be dissappointed with the Bassani set-up. I had it installed 2 weeks ago. I love the sound at idle - it is a little louder than stock. When you get on it - the system comes to life, but it is not too loud. There is a noticable performance gain -107.7 to 112.1 MPH at the end of the 1/4 on the GTECH. I did not have much of an ET gain. I am going to have to change my launch again - I was spinning the DRs through much of 1st & part of second gear.

All of the responses that you have received from the guys are correct. The catted xpipe needs to be cut in order to connect to the header collector. It would have been nice if Bassani told people about this up front. Bassani is now saying to order the 03 Cobra xpipe - this can be used with no cutting, although that pipe does cost more. Also, if they tell you the system comes with all gaskets, ... they are FOS - the headers did not come with a header to head gasket. You most likely will be able to reuse your gasket.

THE REAL INFO YOUR LOOKING FOR...
Bassani made the 3 piece x for a while now. Soon after they came out with the mid headers. People were complaining because they wouldnt just bolt up to their 3 piece x pipe. So bassani quietly released a 5 piece x that would fit both stock and mid headers. When you get the x pipe, it bolts right up to the stocker headers. When you get the headers, they include a shorter piece that will connect the header to your cat or offroad pipe. I just did my research and ordered a setup. I'm installing them now. Mine also came out with their NEW cats. Bassani sells items, finds problems, then solves them. Their are those who get screwed while bassani "works" on a solution.

Gearhead91 said:
THE REAL INFO YOUR LOOKING FOR...
Bassani made the 3 piece x for a while now. Soon after they came out with the mid headers. People were complaining because they wouldnt just bolt up to their 3 piece x pipe. So bassani quietly released a 5 piece x that would fit both stock and mid headers. When you get the x pipe, it bolts right up to the stocker headers. When you get the headers, they include a shorter piece that will connect the header to your cat or offroad pipe. I just did my research and ordered a setup. I'm installing them now. Mine also came out with their NEW cats. Bassani sells items, finds problems, then solves them. Their are those who get screwed while bassani "works" on a solution.
Any price diff?