Bassani SUCKS!!! do not buy!

I think that the bassani cats just flow a little too much for the o2 sensors to be happy. Just buy a set of MIL eliminators for $30 and be done with it all. You don't need to buy a new pipe or get a new pipe. It's a simple soultion to a problem that has been blown waaay out of proportions. I can understand that you're pissed about ford ripping you on the code scan fee (I would have done the same thing if my light came on) but now that you know the problem, just get a set of mil eliminators and everyone's happy.

• Sponsors (?)

Man, I can't believe that you mod your car and put on performance,less restrictive parts,that are not sold at a dealer,and you don't expect to run into minor,occasional problems :lol: .It comes with the lifestyle :shrug: I have friends that have put anything from MAC to Magnaflow parts on their cars, and some( very few) of them have had problems.You got charged by a dealer an insane amout of $$$ for a simple 5min scan.I'll even bet if you had a different brand pipe on there you would of got the same codes, and been writing here that MAC sucks(an example only). Only because the dealer(whom you should be ticked off at) ripped you off.Sorry man, I love the quality of my Bassini X and loved the MAC H I had on my 5.0 .You should be going after the dealer and writing to them and not blaming it on an obviously quality part(along with Magna flow, Prochamber, etc.).

SVTSTEEDA said:
fiveofanatic said:
You run the possibility of a check engine light with any aftermarket cat setup on an OBD-II car. The OBD-II reads the exhaust before & after the cats, so it knows if they're not cleaning the exhaust enough. OBD-I had the o2 sensors before the cats only. The rear o2's on an OBD-II car are called "catalyst monitors" for a reason.
This brings me to a question.
I will need to get my car inspected next month. My check engine light is on because of "below catalyst threshold" or i.e. my cats are bad. If I get MIL eliminators do you think my car will pass the OBD-II test? I would rather pay a small amount for those then have to buy a new pipe.

sorry i highjacked the thread.

I don't know the laws for your state, but here in AZ, if the check engine light is on, you don't pass. The eliminators should take care of the catalyst effeciency code, that's what they're made for.

AZ emissions laws are a trip. My '91 gets dyno tested for tailpipe emissions; I have to use a cat-equipped x/h pipe to pass, or swap the stocker on every two years. For my 97's, there is no dyno test, & no tailpipe sniffing. All they do is pressure test the evap system & check for system readiness & codes. I can get away with an offroad pipe & eliminators on a 96 or newer Mustang, but not on an earlier one. :rolleyes:

fiveofanatic said:
I don't know the laws for your state, but here in AZ, if the check engine light is on, you don't pass. The eliminators should take care of the catalyst effeciency code, that's what they're made for.

AZ emissions laws are a trip. My '91 gets dyno tested for tailpipe emissions; I have to use a cat-equipped x/h pipe to pass, or swap the stocker on every two years. For my '97's, there is no dyno test, & no taipipe sniffing. All they do is pressure test the evap system & check for system readiness & codes. I can get away with an offroad pipe & eliminators on a 96 or newer Mustang, but not on an earlier one. :rolleyes:

Curt,

Same here in WA - check the gas cap, plug into the computer - no codes and you're good to go on 96+.

To my knowledge, the thinking is that the OBD-II is sophisticated enough that if there is no code, it's a safe assumption that there is no emissions problem. Why they don't apply this to the evap system I don't know, since an evap leak will trip a code same as anything else.

fiveofanatic said:
To my knowledge, the thinking is that the OBD-II is sophisticated enough that if there is no code, it's a safe assumption that there is no emissions problem. Why they don't apply this to the evap system I don't know, since an evap leak will trip a code same as anything else.

If you ever figure out why the government or EPA does anything let me know. I'm surprised they don't do a visual, either - especially on a Mustang with headers and flows on it. It has to sound 'off' to them. Go figure - they never forget to collect the fee for the test, though. :shrug: Gotta keep the general fund up!

Like the one of the guys previous questioned, Did you get one of the old one-piece Bassani catted x-pipes or the new two piece version? As the new two peice version with removable cats is supposed to be of much better quality.

Let me know, thanks.

1999GTCONV said:
Like the one of the guys previous questioned, Did you get one of the old one-piece Bassani catted x-pipes or the new two piece version? As the new two peice version with removable cats is supposed to be of much better quality.

Let me know, thanks.

Mine was the 2 piece version...i just bought it in June. I can't wait to get my UPR offroad pipe on. I got the Xpipe and the MIL eliminators for under $200...can't beat that! :nice:

LMAO.

You should've gotten an off-road pipe to begin with. Then you would have known that the light was because of your cats, or lack thereof.

Next time you see the light, and take it to the dealer, you'll learn that MIL eliminators aren't 100% reliable. :p