Battery Dies after 4 days of being parked

hammerhead399

Oct 2, 2010
I've got a 2005 GT, 5-speed w/ 39k miles on it. Had it since 12-2004 and in the last 6 months the battery goes dead after sitting parked for 4 days. I bought a new Optima red top thinking it was the battery but same problem. Alt volts are between 13.5 and 14.5 when running, have a scan gauge in the car. Has the factory alarm and shaker 500. Batt goes dead whether alarm is on or not. Its not the trunk light staying on, checked that. Had the water problem in the pass floor from the leaking window trim and the temp gauge went out. Anyone having the same problem? Suggestions? Is the alt voltage too low? Warranty is expired obviously.

• Sponsors (?)

Recharge the battery with a trickle charger.
Then, always make sure to manually turn off the radio(switch it to AM/FM mode if it's in CD mode before turning it off) before turning off the engine.
If the battery still goes dead, then the radio unit may need to be either repaired or replaced.

Recharge the battery with a trickle charger.
Then, always make sure to manually turn off the radio(switch it to AM/FM mode if it's in CD mode before turning it off) before turning off the engine.
If the battery still goes dead, then the radio unit may need to be either repaired or replaced.

Is the thing about the radio a common problem? Please let me know if there's a thread about it. I recently bought a used 2006 GT and noticed that the radio never turns off on its own when I turn off the engine, but I thought it was going to turn off after a while, so I didn't do anything about it the first day. But knowing that the battery was dead when I bought it, I was really cautious about electric units in the car, so I've always been turning it off manually before turning off the engine. Supposed if I don't do that, is it going to stay on until the battery dies??

I'm starting to hate this car. It already has that other problem about the gas tank (I have to turn the nozzle upside down to fill up the tank at some stations), and I'm discovering another annoying problem which I'm going to post here soon... I miss how my '99 GT was driving after 10 years and over 107K miles on it.. It never had any of these annoying problems..

There are dozens of threads regarding the radio problem on all of the Mustang forums.
Your 99 may have been more trouble free, but your 06 is light years ahead of it in performance, handling, comfort, style, etc.

yes, that's true. sorry... just that i hadn't bought a newer car in 10 years and wanted it to be trouble-free, but oh well.. thanks though. i'm looking it up.:shrug:

Check for excessive draw on your battery with a multimeter set for checking amps. Pull one fuse at a time until you find the circuit that has excessive draw. Then eliminate each item in the circuit.