Battery

I have an old battery in my mustang that was purchased at Meijer by the last owner or the owner before that. (it's really old)

I want to put a new battery in, but don't know what cranking amp to go with.

My car is an 86. When I went to autozone, they have a 590 there, but was questioning if that is too low or not.

My neighbor said that the 87 battery box is a bit larger, so I had them run the info on that and they had one that was 610. Is it worth the upgrade?

opinions?

Thanks,

Keith

• Sponsors (?)

I always recommended the gold series when I worked at autozone. they have the longest waranty & the most CCA in each size. If you have the bat in the stock location, I would go with the gold in the size they recommend. I use a 65 DLG that has 800 CCA mounted in the rear. might be over kill but that what i use.

I have an old battery in my mustang that was purchased at Meijer by the last owner or the owner before that. (it's really old)

I want to put a new battery in, but don't know what cranking amp to go with.

My car is an 86. When I went to autozone, they have a 590 there, but was questioning if that is too low or not.

My neighbor said that the 87 battery box is a bit larger, so I had them run the info on that and they had one that was 610. Is it worth the upgrade?

opinions?

Thanks,

Keith

If it's any help the factory ( motorcraft listing ) for you car is the BXT-56 or BXL- 56 for the lower line. The BXT is rated at 550 cca @ 0* and the BXT is rated @ 470 cca @ 0*. This is the same part # for my year and I run the BXT with a 3g alt and PAperformance mini starter, have had this battery for 3 yrs now w/o any issues so the 590 cca should be fine.