BBK 62mm Throttle Body Help

Redfire 05

Apr 6, 2005
Lubbock, TX
First off, I did search the forums, but came up with little except aftermarket TB's suck threads. So I am already aware of that point of view please don't reiterate it.

Here is the actual question. I purchased a BBK TB and I've been having some problems with it. I'm positive I've installed it correctly but the car doesn't run right. It jumps to 4000rpm on start and then settles to a high idle speed (2500rpm) and the car smokes. I haven't run it more than a few minutes because of the smoke. I followed the procedure for checking and adjusting TPS voltage (http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-trouble-shoot.html) but I don't get the 1.19-1.31 volts they say you should see. My TPS shows 0.63v and the car runs fine at that setting with the stock TB. The TPS also reads 0.63v with the BBK TB but doesn't run right. I'm afraid to adjust the TPS voltage up to 1.19-1.31 with the BBK as the car is already running bad and I don't want to damage the engine. Has anyone else experienced this and fixed it? What are your TPS voltages (the procedure to check it is described in the link above)? I have an early 05 model GT and I'm wondering if the TPS sensor and/or voltage settings are different on later models. I have contacted BBK and the tech seems a little stumped as to why my TPS voltage is so low and as to how to fix the problem.

• Sponsors (?)

I followed the procedure for checking and adjusting TPS voltage (http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-trouble-shoot.html) but I don't get the 1.19-1.31 volts they say you should see. My TPS shows 0.63v and the car runs fine at that setting with the stock TB. The TPS also reads 0.63v with the BBK TB but doesn't run right. I'm afraid to adjust the TPS voltage up to 1.19-1.31 with the BBK as the car is already running bad and I don't want to damage the engine.
I have contacted BBK and the tech seems a little stumped as to why my TPS voltage is so low and as to how to fix the problem.

The question is, will raising the voltage raise the idle rpm? I think if you are worried about that (it probably goes the other way), just adjust it slightly and check out the effects.

With such a high start speed & high idle, you are probably pushing oil into the heads & it's getting sucked into the intake, going through combustion & making the smoke. turn down the rpm and it may be alright.

Thanks for replying. I actually fixed the problem. I'm embarrassed to say that the culprit was my multimeter. Though I checked the batteries in it and it was reading my car's battery voltage correctly. It was way off on low voltage readings. My friend let me borrow his multimeter the other night and the voltage read correctly. I was hoping no one would reply so I wouldn't have to explain my stupidity!:D Oh well. I should go ahead and sing the praises of Bryan from BBK's tech support. He stuck with me for a few days trying to figure things out and didn't even call me an idiot when I told him what the problem was. He's a really patient helpful guy.

Thanks for replying. I actually fixed the problem. I'm embarrassed to say that the culprit was my multimeter. Though I checked the batteries in it and it was reading my car's battery voltage correctly. It was way off on low voltage readings. My friend let me borrow his multimeter the other night and the voltage read correctly. I was hoping no one would reply so I wouldn't have to explain my stupidity!:D Oh well. I should go ahead and sing the praises of Bryan from BBK's tech support. He stuck with me for a few days trying to figure things out and didn't even call me an idiot when I told him what the problem was. He's a really patient helpful guy.

So was the TB worth all the trouble or have you not got a chance to run it through the butt dyno yet?