BBK vs. K & N

• Sponsors (?)

I've had very bad luck with BBK on their CAI's. Mine didn't come with a plug so I had to put a cork in it. literally. It took them almost 3 months to send me the plug. Then they were smartasses about it. The sent 50 grommets for the one plug.

81427.jpg

Rol224 said:
Its time to order the cold air intake...i've got my eyes on either a BBK or a K & N.....any suggestions/comments on either? BBK looks nicer but says up to more 14 hp and K&N says up to 19 more hp. :shrug:
Well take the number they give you and divide by 3 or sometimes even 4. Generally that will give you some estimate of actual hp gainage at the wheels. Id say 3-6 at the wheels for either. BBK is chrome so it heats up a little more. Shouldnt make much of a difference since air moving at speed cools itself. That little extra heat from the pipe won't make a difference. So don't worry about chrome or plastic. It makes no difference honestly. Get either. Chrome for looks, black for budget. bbk/k&n

I went with the K&N FIPK. It places the filter in the engine bay. I think it's looks cooler than an in-fender set up and it is so much easier to get to the filter.

You'll see a lot of threads here favoring the in-fender filter arrangement like the Densecharger. In-fender fans say the "cooler" fender air is better than the "hotter" engine bay air. I set up two thermometers and found that the difference is like 2-5 degrees once I'm going above 15 mph. That's negligible.

It's hard to go by each vendor's claim of their HP increase. They had totally different environments when they did their tests.

Rol224 said:
Is fender mounted any harder to install?

HardER?? yes, compared to it being in the engine bay. But, its still cake, bud. My BBK kit puts the filter in the fender and it is still no sweat on install. Just mount all of the pipes and what not, then go under the car, move the black plastic piece out of your way and slide the filter up there and mount it on the metal bracket that protrudes into the fender area. Not a problem at all. Its easier to understand once you are looking at it.

Mustang02...If you didn't put the IAT sensor back where the cork is, where exactly is it? I'm sure you know that it needs to be there in that pipe, right??