Beat by an '06 v6

1red95gt

Dec 22, 2006
Three Rivers, Mi
I have had my 95 gt for a little over a year now. I bought the car for 4,000 in dec. '05. Which is pretty good because it only had 40,000 miles on it. Now the gt has 77,000. I use it has a everyday car, unless there is snow or salt on the road. Well, to came a long story short, I drove it to work the other day before it snowed. I was leaving work and waiting at a stop light, when a '06 pulled up next to me. He rolled his window down and asked if I wanted to race to the next light. I saw it a v6 so I thought, ok. Now, my gt is bone stock other than a k&n filter and a fms cat-back kit. I figured I beat this punk high schooler.......wrong... I got my a$$ handed to me on a plate. And YES, I can drive. That thing was so modded out, can you say paxton?...Now, after crying and feeling like a big baby, for losing to a damn v6, it's time to something about it. It's for me to buy a HCI. The last week or so I've been looking at the systemax and trickflow kits. I have to keep telling myself that I will be driving this as a dd, but I WANT 300 rwhp. So, can someone show me light as far as this kits are? or Is there better combos? I really can't afford afr's right now, I think. My budget is 4,100. SOMEONE help.......:flag:

-Joe

• Sponsors (?)

supercharger or turbo.....

I totally agree here.

For the money and DD drivability a centrifical SC with 6-8lb of boost will give instant gratification.

If you are willing to spend a little more look at the Anderson Ford Motorsport Vortec stage two kit. It comes with a PMS tuning device and everything else except bigger injectors. I think it is the best bang for $$$ for what you get.

You can add the H/C/I later for even more gains.

I also highly recommend a good X-pipe. Catted or not depending on you smog legal needs. The stock 4 catted H-pipe is very restrictive.

You want reliable, H.C.I will give you that, but for the money spent you can go the vortec route, and get the supporting stuff for the same price. Now if you want quick cheap easy power, you cant go wrong with nitros. Also gears would have helped a ton.

I totally agree here.

For the money and DD drivability a centrifical SC with 6-8lb of boost will give instant gratification.

:nonono:

Forced induction is not as reliable as natural aspiration. Search some threads by VibrantRedGT about why he switched form a vortec motor to a NA 347. Reliability.

Sure, its probably cheaper and you get the same if not more power, but if you're talking daily driver then its HCI hands down.

Either way, a lot of that reliability is up to the tune, which you'll have to modify in either instance.

And don't street race, leave that up to the professionals, like Paul Walker and Vin Diesel.

Adam

There's always someone out there faster - just make sure you're doing this because you have the desire for a faster (and perhaps more finicky) car, and not because some sleeper beat ya. I'd probably get smoked all the time but since I won't race, I don't know or care.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

Actually stock for stock they are slower...but not by much...210 hp at 5250 and 240 lb/ft at 3500 and 3400 lbs...if I remember right dudes the 95 50 had 215/285 and 3400 lbs...So it is a driver's race stock for stock but id say advantage gt...As far as your question goes...you can easily have reliability and 300 rwhp with a good tune and all the supporting mods with the trickflow hci combo and you'd be well under 4100 buckeroos...

Always cracks me up how losing a race sends guys scrounging for cash and mods. Anybody ever point out to you that there's ALWAYS somebody faster out there, and that time marches on, so was WAS fast ain't no more?
Don't let getting beat by a newer, faster car make you feel bad about YOUR car. He's got a payment book and you don't. ;)

I'm sorry man, i feel for ya.

Our cars are getting to be pretty old technology stock......BUT that doesn't mean they cant be improved with better breathing parts.

if you want a good daily driver, i vote H/C/I for reliability reasons

There is no need to get yourself indebt because you were beat by a v6 hell there are plenty of turbo 4 bangers that will hurt your feelings. Who cares slowly put your car the way you want it. Your the one who has to afford to keep the car up not the guy who beat you, or the people making parts list for you. Gas is not getting any cheaper (I miss paying .99 a gallon) and you have to live with it. Take your time and think long term most importantly have fun :nice:

Always cracks me up how losing a race sends guys scrounging for cash and mods. Anybody ever point out to you that there's ALWAYS somebody faster out there, and that time marches on, so was WAS fast ain't no more?
Don't let getting beat by a newer, faster car make you feel bad about YOUR car. He's got a payment book and you don't. ;)

Yea but he also has a V6. lol

for $4100 you can get about any h/c/i combo you want. ed curtis over at fti puts together some great h/c/i combos. you may want to give him a call. aside from that, like vibrantredgt, i can vouch for the fact that a blower on a stock motor isnt as reliable as an h/c/i motor. i lost a couple piston rings with a powerdyne (tiny blower) at 6psi on a stock engine. the bottom line is, a car with a power adder will never be as reliable as its n/a counterpart. i do agree though that getting beaten by a newer car is no reason to go empty your wallet on parts. cars are getting faster and faster off the showroom floor every year. just look at the factory horsepower figures on the mustang, corvette, and viper over the last 10 years in all trim levels including the v6 in the mustangs case. build your car the way you want over the time frame you want. dont let being beaten by some kid in a new stang make you rush into something. ive been there and done that and had i taken my time planning and built the car correctly the first time, id have about $17000 more sitting in the bank than i do now. hope this helps.

There is no need to get yourself indebt because you were beat by a v6 hell there are plenty of turbo 4 bangers that will hurt your feelings. Who cares slowly put your car the way you want it. Your the one who has to afford to keep the car up not the guy who beat you, or the people making parts list for you. Gas is not getting any cheaper (I miss paying .99 a gallon) and you have to live with it. Take your time and think long term most importantly have fun :nice:

This is the best advice I have read in a long time. I have a friend whom I love dearly but let the people in our home town with deeper pockets put him in debt trying to keep up. He is now at $60,000 in the hole including the car, but all It brings him is the pleasure of someone saying to him is man that's a really sharp car if and when he able to put it together. OOh did I not mention that the parts are not on his car but inside his apartment! Truely, I want to go faster but I'm willing to wait to get my parts at a used discount off of his car, and continue to invest my money in real estate where my return is high! I love cars but I want to look good at the bank then in the streets.:flag: