bent cam???

how could you let if fall off of the table, you must be devastated right now and this wont make it any better, but man, if id just spent 75 bucks on a cam i wouldnt let it even touch anything except for a rag to sit on or the like.

something thats made to spin round and round a million times isn't made to be strong, its made to be balanced and lightweight.

cars are made to go fast for 200k miles or more, so crashing into a brick wall doesn't hurt it

• Sponsors (?)

dont use the cam.

also the guy who dropped his cam and it broke, how high did you drop it?

i took my stock cam and threw it about 40 feet and it didnt break. i slammed it against the ground, didnt break. i only did this because the guy who bought my stock parts didnt want it.

bottom line though, it didnt bend from that fall. it got some nicks and ultimately i wouldnt use it. when i got my new camshaft, it did NOTHING outside of the box and plastic bag.

i think you may be happier with an e-cam anyways. i dont know your entire combo though.

When you are rebuilding your engine, dont you want to do it the right way. Spend the 100 bucks to get a new cam and you won't have to worry about it. Otherwise, you risk being EXTREMELY dissapointed when you fire up that motor for the first time.

....hers's my take on it:

Back in the day I had a bunch of cams laying around. We decided to see what would happen if we threw them up in the air and let them hit the ground (caused by dope smoking and boredom....the college years). Stock cast carbed flat tappet cams exploded into at least 10 pieces...it was weird the way they shattered. A stock 88 Mustang cam would not break.

The hydraulic roller cams are usually billet and/or made from a harder steel. There is no way you bent the cam. Its probably fine. I wouldn't use it....but chances are that it is fine. I would like to repeat that I would not use it. I'll send you $10 if you use it and it breaks. As for the surfaces and cam failure- I will not warranty that. I still wouldn't use it.

It's simple, the cam didn't just fall off, your gaurdian angle threw it off because your much better off getting a better cam and taking a $75 loss. I had the B cam, made a little up top, sounded wicked, but harmed low end and didn't perform. IOW, the sound and drivability of a big cam, with the power of a small one. I always ment to change it but wanted to do a few other things first. I sold it last winter, maby you got the one from the guy I sold it to.

Maby the fall did damage the cam, maby it didn't, but more than likley the cam came damaged from who you bought it. I've known people who will blow up a motor and then try to salvage it not knowing weather the parts are good or not.

NO HO 50 said:
If a little fall wont hurt it, go take your stock cam, hold it straight out in front of you and drop it on the ground. More then likely the cam is going to explode(shatter into many pieces). Your damn lucky that it didnt break into many pieces. I wouldnt use it.

I did that test with my stock cam since i question'd how true it was and for sure it broke.

Dont cheap out buy a new cam,
A 3 foot fall is very short. Depending what it fell on, im sure it chipped or got scraped, but I would be suprised if it bent.

And Im not too faliliar with camshafts, but how would it shatter? Think of it hitting the lifters time and time again, no problem. I dont see how it could shatter. Everytime a lobe pushes up a lifter it pushes quite a bit of force to compress the valve spring, would it really create that much more force on a fall?

Car RamRod said:
A 3 foot fall is very short. Depending what it fell on, im sure it chipped or got scraped, but I would be suprised if it bent.

And Im not too faliliar with camshafts, but how would it shatter? Think of it hitting the lifters time and time again, no problem. I dont see how it could shatter. Everytime a lobe pushes up a lifter it pushes quite a bit of force to compress the valve spring, would it really create that much more force on a fall?

Sorry you are wrong.

A cam does not hit the lifters. The lifters are always in contact with the cam at all times and they merely ride up the ramps of the lobes and back down again. There is still a lot of force there but cams are designed with one thing in mind. Resist torque and have a very hard surface, because the only force the cam experiences is the large amounts of torque it has to overcome to lift the end of the rockers up. Dropping it off a table and it hitting the floor in any other orientation it wasnt designed for is grounds for an immediate disposal of this cam.

Take a driveshaft, put it in between 2 blocks of wood and hit it with a sledgehammer directly in the middle. It must still be good right its made to withstand hard launches. Wrong.

Dude...it's an ebay cam

Thats all I need to say.

The original owner backed a truck over it for all you know.

At this point stock cam > questionable cam and it saves you from having to pull the original stick too. Plus that b cam wasnt all that hot to begin with so it's not that big of a loss.

Not to sound like a jerk but.......how are you planning on rebuilding an engine if $75 is an issue? You need a bigger surplus budget than that to pull off even a stock rebuild just to cover the unknowns. You might need machine work, maybe a crane rental. What happens if something breaks? You'll be standing there with a disassembled engine and no way to move on.

crazypete said:
Dude...it's an ebay cam

Thats all I need to say.

The original owner backed a truck over it for all you know.

At this point stock cam > questionable cam and it saves you from having to pull the original stick too. Plus that b cam wasnt all that hot to begin with so it's not that big of a loss.

Not to sound like a jerk but.......how are you planning on rebuilding an engine if $75 is an issue? You need a bigger surplus budget than that to pull off even a stock rebuild just to cover the unknowns. You might need machine work, maybe a crane rental. What happens if something breaks? You'll be standing there with a disassembled engine and no way to move on.

:stupid:

well, i had another idea......pop that cam in, throw the bolt in it, and hook up yer impact wrench......... you get the idea............... or, better yet, hook it up to yer die grinder!!!!!!! if 25,000 rpm dont get it all smoothed out, nuthin will!!!!!!!!

You really shouldn't be handling the camshaft until you were ready to install it.

The oils from your hand can cause it to begin rusting.

Camshafts are pretty tought. I have two cams sitting around as "paperweights" I had one in my college dorm and we used to play baseball with it. One good whack used to actually drive a hardball pretty far. Just be warned the lobes are sharp and cut the ball up pretty well. But it still rolls true on my desk after about 50-100 swings at a hardball.