Best 96-98 Cobra Induction

SVTCobra97

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Trying to decide what to put on for an induction on my 97 Cobra. A kenne Bell will eventually be slapped on, if that makes any difference. I want something that will give improvement now, and be able to flow well also with the kenne bell. BBK Cold Air kit? Densecharger? ........? What do you guys think? I also don't want to mess with having to recalibrate anything right now. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Does a filter really make any horsepower difference? I know on 4 cylinders it doesn't do squat. Maybe a .5 difference but nothing worth $30. How much of a difference do you see on these mustangs?

baller760 said:
Does a filter really make any horsepower difference? I know on 4 cylinders it doesn't do squat. Maybe a .5 difference but nothing worth $30. How much of a difference do you see on these mustangs?

It doesnt matter if its a 4cyl, 6cyl, 8 cyl....thats too general of a statement...its how the induction setup is setup. Hybrid intakes (like powerpipes for our snakes) on 02 Maxima give 10fwhp gains....and simple popchargers (big filters mated to stock induction piping) will yeild 5-7fwhp on a 95-99 n/a maxima....its different for every car, and every make and model.

As far as HP goes, don't waste the $$ on an intake. Just take off the air silencer and drop in a k&n filter. Taking off the air silencer is a free mod and will probably get you 2rwhp if you are lucky....worth the time to yank it off though, id think....i'll eventually get around to it.

SVTCobra97 said:
Trying to decide what to put on for an induction on my 97 Cobra. A kenne Bell will eventually be slapped on, if that makes any difference. I want something that will give improvement now, and be able to flow well also with the kenne bell. BBK Cold Air kit? Densecharger? ........? What do you guys think? I also don't want to mess with having to recalibrate anything right now. Thanks.

Drop-in K&N's don't do squat from what i've seen on 96-98 4v's.

I picked up 2mph on the 1/4 with my WMS full velocity kit. It's a top notch kit in my book. People have had good results with the densecharger full kit as well. Most of the kits come with a filter.

If you get the WMS kit, the MAF really isn't necessary. I think most of my power gains from installing it came from the MAF leaning out my A/F ratio, although I don't have dyno numbers to back this up. I'll probably head out for a tune in a couple months to tie my combo together. The stock MAF is fine for your needs. If you outgrow it, you'll probably be outgrowing the stock injectors at the same time.

Thanks for the info. I think I am probably just going to slap on a Densecharger kit because they look pretty good and don't cost that much. Do you have a link for the vms kit? The only bad thing i've heard about the densecharger kit is having trouble putting the filter in the fenderwall due to the smog pump (?) being in the way.. :shrug:

SVTCobra97 said:
Thanks for the info. I think I am probably just going to slap on a Densecharger kit because they look pretty good and don't cost that much. Do you have a link for the vms kit? The only bad thing i've heard about the densecharger kit is having trouble putting the filter in the fenderwall due to the smog pump (?) being in the way.. :shrug:

Fitting the filter in the fender is NOT hard, and it's not a problem specific to the densecharger. Any of the kits that put your filter in the fender are going to have slight fitment issues depending on the size of the filter. It took about 25 minutes from start to finish to take off the stock airbox and put in the WMS kit.

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/tubes.htm

I have this one:
http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-ProductSpec?WMS-HVI

doogz- In your opinion is the VMS kit with the 95 mm MAF really worth the 450? Also, were you able to fit this under the strut tower brace or did you remove your brace? Why I'm asking, does the densecharger kit or upr power pipe fit under the factory brace too? I've heard that I might as well take this brace off though cuz it doesn't do $hit (unless you are in a wreck).
Unless there is a big difference, I would rather just spend less than $200 now with the denscharger or Upr powerpipe, and then upgrade the MAF and such when I throw the Kenne Bell on.....

Big plans are in store for the Cobra all of the sudden because I graduated college and now I have some $ ! :banana:

Just an FYI on the Densechager kit. It would NOT fit under my stock STB. Maybe you don't have a stock one or you took it out but if you do be warned it doesn't fit as advertised...