Electrical Best Braille Battery for Fox Mustang

I kept a battery tender on my Optima redtop but it still only lasted for just past the warranty.
Was it a desulfating battery charger/tender? Highly recommended that it has that feature.

a group 65 battery will fit fine....
Just for clarification.... while that may be true for aero Foxes, it definitely is not for four-eye Foxes.

I just don't have the best luck with lead acid batteries.
That's putting it politely!

Never heard of Braille Batteries until I saw this thread.
Yea, me neither.

Probably much more popular with blind drivers. :shrug:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Common causes for battery explosion:
Spark outside the battery; the gas produced by the battery when in use used to be vented to atmosphere (the engine compartment) now it is contained in a system of channels built inside the cap, the cap still releases pressure but it's harder for the gas to escape.
Spark (arcing) inside the case: usually happens when the battery terminal gets broken on the inside from excessive force installing/removing the clamp, beating on the cable clamp or twisting off the clamp.
If the battery case is swollen: one or more cells boiling, you'll be replacing it soon.
The top of the case is wet and dirty or cable clamps have that yellow crude growing: post not sealed to case or excessive boiling from one or more weak cells. Again, you'll be replacing soon.
Hold questions till after class.
Test on Friday.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Technically I have never had any do kaboom. They have just leak acid out of the terminals. Looking at the reviews of Braille, it looks like they have premature failure. Looking into other batteries, I found Durecell batteries have AGM batteries at Sam's Club. Anybody have experience with them?

Acid leaking is common. I hate to say it but I do think battery tenders are the cause. It’s from overcharging even though tenders are designed to prevent this. had that happen to a few battieries until I went to a new strategy of not using a tender permanently on my cars and just “topping off” the battery every 4-5 weeks with the tender.

Ever since doing that I notice no terminal leaking.

Obviously doing this also depends on how much parasitic draw your car has. Mine are in great shape so every 5 or 6 weeks worked fine.

Never heard of Braille Batteries until I saw this thread. But I have a Die Hard AGM battery in my truck just for the vibration resistance properties. I've never had a lead acid battery blow up on me either in >35 years of playing with cars. I've seen acid damage on some cars but never seen anything first hand. I wonder what the circumstances were that lead (no pun intended) to +/-10 batteries exploding for you?
I used to have one in my wrx. They're very light. But I'd rather run a standard battery in the trunk of a foxbody. Dekas are totally decent and made here.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Acid leaking is common. I hate to say it but I do think battery tenders are the cause. It’s from overcharging even though tenders are designed to prevent this. had that happen to a few battieries until I went to a new strategy of not using a tender permanently on my cars and just “topping off” the battery every 4-5 weeks with the tender.

Ever since doing that I notice no terminal leaking.

Obviously doing this also depends on how much parasitic draw your car has. Mine are in great shape so every 5 or 6 weeks worked fine.
Thanks for the advise. I will try that.

Costco Interstate group 58 bought in Nov ‘17.
6.5 years later, another $100 bucks for another Costco Interstate bought this week, and another 6 plus years I go! Not driven a lot, and very rarely did I put a tender on it!

(After seeing @nickyb post I added my “Costco” to the post). Cant go wrong!

Last edited:
Just read this thread and thought you wanted a battery that blind people could tell pos. From neg.
As I also thought you hooked a few batteries up wrong and kaboom. I have always bought lead acid batteries and none leaked enough to ruin my battery tray.
I daily my fox and I live on the surface of the sun( nevada) 115 degree summers. Batteries only last 4 to 5 years here, my present one is a Costco interstate.

I've actually had decent luck with the wally-world batteries on both my Mustangs once i stopped keeping them on the tender 24/7 when not in use.

One in my fox is ~3 years old now. No leakage around terminals. SN95 one is about a year old and I never put that on a tender.

I am in the same boat as Mustang5L5 with regards to frequency of charging. I do not leave them on the cars all the time especially spring through fall when they get driven. When I do put one on one of the AGM's it's on there for a couple of days to get the full benefit of the desulfating feature. When I did it the first time a few years ago I left it on them for a week as those batteries were a couple of years old and have never been desulfated before. Since doing that and maintaining them I have had zero battery related issues. I have had some other issues (old cables mostly) but no battery issues.

I got a serious amount of time out of my last battery by just turning it off (hatch battery with disconnect) when i was done driving the car. No tender use.
Oddly enough my wife has a 2012 srx with an AC delco battery that went bad last year, when i went to change it i could figure out why i didn't know how. Turns out it was under the computer and it was dated 2011. I didn't know how because I never changed it...

I think optima battery's are crap. I've tried them more than once with the same result.

Personally for batteries, i just goto costco and get interstates.
They sometimes have both versions of a battery and their prices are far better than anywhere else.
Not to mention the warranty isn't prorated nor do i even think they test the battery.