Best compression for street/strip car?

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
What would you guys think would be the best all around compression for a street/strip car that might spray nitrous? Would 10.5-1 be good or even 11.5-1 or is that to muhc for a mostly daily driven car? Assuming that there is always 93 in the tank

• Sponsors (?)

Whenever you combine pump gas and forced induction, you may be quite limited to what you can do with compression ratio. Typically, something around a stock (9.5-10.5:1) is about where you want to run. You may be able to run a bit higher IF you get a two program chip burned for the engine. Basically, it comes with a switch/button that changes the programs from one to another when you are on/off the spray. It is best to have a professional dyno tune it with a wide-band O2 sensor and laptop. Either way, if I were going to run boost, I'd get custom tuning anyhow, just for safety sake. Pay a little now, versus a lot later.

Just me....

BlownStangGT said:
What would you guys think would be the best all around compression for a street/strip car that might spray nitrous? Would 10.5-1 be good or even 11.5-1 or is that to muhc for a mostly daily driven car? Assuming that there is always 93 in the tank

Is this for your current motor or another one?

I wouldnt waste the time to pull the heads and mill them down for a point or two of compression on that motor. IMO it would be a waste. Not to mention it would keep you from being able to run much/any boost with those heads unless you spent some real cash on pistons.

Speaking of compression ratios. I'm about to put a set of AFR 165s w/58cc chambers on my stock shortblock. Anybody have an idea about what my compression will be when I put the heads on? I haven't done a compression check yet, but I was wondering what it might be. I'm gonna do a compression check before I take the stock heads off and after I put the AFRs on.

I noticed a couple of yall mentioning "if he puts boost(forced induction) on the motor"...nitrous isn't forced induction. Actually you get better results from nitrous with higher compression, but of course there are other variables to go along with that.

stangboy said:
I noticed a couple of yall mentioning "if he puts boost(forced induction) on the motor"...nitrous isn't forced induction. Actually you get better results from nitrous with higher compression, but of course there are other variables to go along with that.

When I say boost I'm talking about boost, not nitrous. I might not have made that clear though, not sure.

I'm saying if he mills these heads down a bunch he will more or less ruin the chance to run a blower with them. I know he says he wants to just run nitrous but we all know how that goes. Never say never.

In the end I just dont think it will worth all the time and cost to gain a point or two with this motor.

jjd975 said:
When I say boost I'm talking about boost, not nitrous. I might not have made that clear though, not sure.

I'm saying if he mills these heads down a bunch he will more or less ruin the chance to run a blower with them. I know he says he wants to just run nitrous but we all know how that goes. Never say never.

In the end I just dont think it will worth all the time and cost to gain a point or two with this motor.

I wasn't trying single you out, jjd975. I just thought I'd mention it because someone else mentioned forced induction also and the way he stated it made me think he thought nitrous was forced induction. I was just letting people know that nitrous isn't forced induction just incase they thought it was. It IS a power adder but its not forced induction like a supercharger or turbo charger.

Higher compression does not ruin the chance at a boost, just not as much of it. I'm seeing more and more cars run higher compression (11:1) with ~18psi instead of 9:1 with 24+psi. This has the advantage of having a better bottom end, and lets you run less boost(which is more efficient due to the heat/power it takes to make the boost). I’ve seen this on all out race cars running high octane, but on pump gas an 11:1 motor will run fine under 10psi, and would be quicker than a car with 8:1 with 14psi.

had my stroker built to 8.5:1 compression cause i plan on adding 10-12 psi of boost down the road, all depends though, n/a i'd say 10.5:1 is good for street/strip and 11:1 and up for strip only, not until they start selling 107 octane at the local pump.