Best High-po Tranny?

Hey guys,

I',m getting deeper into planning my fox build, and I'm trying to figure out what to do about the transmission. I currently have a stock T-5 manual, but I'm planning on making around 450-500HP with a built 351w. I don't really have a preference between manual and auto. I'm planning on this being a weekend street car, i will probably drive it somewhat hard. Bottom line, what would be the best, reasonable (I'm on a budget) transmission build/replacement for my fox?

• Sponsors (?)

TKO600 if you want a stick
C4 if you want an auto
lentech AOD if you want over drive

all of them will run you close to 3K all said and done though if you get deals.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't even bother with a stock c4... I'd look around for a built c4. Mines a rev manual with a trans brake. Rated for 1000hp. If I ever make 700ish I'll go to a th400 or a glide

Fun 4-500hp weekend car...agree with SRT. TKO 600,c4 or Lentech AOD. And def plan all of 3k for the project(maybe cheaper if you can find a used one-if you trust that)

Hey guys,

I',m getting deeper into planning my fox build, and I'm trying to figure out what to do about the transmission. I currently have a stock T-5 manual, but I'm planning on making around 450-500HP with a built 351w. I don't really have a preference between manual and auto. I'm planning on this being a weekend street car, i will probably drive it somewhat hard. Bottom line, what would be the best, reasonable (I'm on a budget) transmission build/replacement for my fox?

Dude... That is a question that gets asked frequently only this time, it was perfectly worded and described.

I'm going to make this a sticky.

@FastDriver Please consider this temporary and dismiss when you feel you've seen it long enough.

Reactions: 1 users
The TKO 500/600 is a great transmission and can be built to be damn near indestructible, but a word of warning- in stock form, the synchronizers are marginal and start to struggle with shifting above ~6K RPM. This is part of the reason why you hear so much griping about the TKO's shift quality. All of the big name transmission companies- Astro, D&D, Modern Driveline, etc. offer solutions to get them to shift like butter at 6500 and up, usually by installing carbon fiber lined syncros and modified shift selector fingers.

Sometime next month I am going to detail the rebuild of my TKO 500 with some "sure shift" goodies from Astro... Stay tuned.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about indestructable. I've destructed mine several times. I suggested the TKO for ease of installation since he had no preference. Also it has an overdrive.

Kurt

TKO's definitely have their limits but if you dont use an aggressive clutch it will last a long time. If you are going to buy a new one, just get it from liberty's gears. With a couple hundred in upgrades it will shift effortlessly up to 6700rpms.

Reactions: 1 users
TKO's definitely have their limits but if you dont use an aggressive clutch it will last a long time. If you are going to buy a new one, just get it from liberty's gears. With a couple hundred in upgrades it will shift effortlessly up to 6700rpms.

Will make a note of that. That's right about where I shift.

Link?

I honestly think Bob Hanlon has Liberty beat, but they are both good.

Kurt

I think there are some great people that do great work with tremec transmissions, I've heard great things about bob, the guys at liberty were great, they did things to my trans that other companies wouldn't do(not Bob btw), for what i feel like was a very reasonable price.

Will make a note of that. That's right about where I shift.

Link?

http://www.libertysgears.com/ttc2.htm

I shift my tko600 over 6000rpms, never had an issue. Know plenty of others that do it too.

There is alot of rumors about it shifting poorly above that rpm, but few people that actually use a 600 that complain of it.

Now i don't know my real shift points and i drive more by feel and sound than by visually looking, mainly because if i'm at 6000rpm i'm probably on the car pretty hard and don't want to land up in the bushes.
Also i use a tach adapter to run the stock tach, it's accurate at low rpms, but who knows up top. But i do know my power holds past 6000rpm so...

Last edited:
Anyone ever convert a 3550 to TKO specs? Thinking about doing it looks like it will cost about 1000 vs. 2400 for a new tranny. I broke my output shaft launching on slicks, now I don't trust it anymore.

It's not even $1000 to finish the conversion. You need a 26 spline input shaft, which is like $68 new on ebay now. You need a 31 spline output shaft which is $285. Hanlon motorsports can bore your 3550 tail housing to fit the 31 spline output shaft. I think they charge around $50 for the bore. You need a 31 spline yoke for your driveshaft which is around $90. I think that's it.

Kurt