Best High-po Tranny?

The 3+ works great in my setup at 760rwhp, but I haven't launched it on slicks, yet.

I'm not sure what your setup is (turbo/nitrous), and I don't have quite that much power, but I used to launch hard with the bottle on, and it worked great with the standard 3 on a 10" slick. I stepped up to the solid hub 4+ to make it launch even harder. Surprisingly streetable too. I only launched it a few times with slicks on the street to test it with the 4+, but never at the track.It seemed more aggessive than the 3. I won't be sure untilbI get it on the track though.

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

I've been hesitant to try the Spec 3. Seems like there's more griping about chatter and cable tension than I was willing to invest in. When I came across the chance to test drive one, I got in and said, "Oh lawd this thing is heavy" only to find out that the cable the dude was running was garbage (literally... burned through the cable shielding on the header).

So I still don't really have a first hand [foot] on the Spec 3.

Thats way too much clutch... Those are the common killers of TKO's, look at the pure street combinations, they are running 9's with a clutch similar to a spec stage one, with an aluminum pressure plate and those guys are shimming the PP to make the clutch less aggressive... Most combinations dont need more than a stage 2 clutch, and if you do, you should just pony up for a twin disc that will soften the shock of the clutch and still be able to handle the power being put down. I have run at least 50 10 second passes, and 10-15 9 second passes on a standard ram powergrip, with about 5000 street miles in between and it didnt give up till i tried to leave around 7000 rpms with my new motor.

Thats way too much clutch... Those are the common killers of TKO's, look at the pure street combinations, they are running 9's with a clutch similar to a spec stage one, with an aluminum pressure plate and those guys are shimming the PP to make the clutch less aggressive... Most combinations dont need more than a stage 2 clutch, and if you do, you should just pony up for a twin disc that will soften the shock of the clutch and still be able to handle the power being put down. I have run at least 50 10 second passes, and 10-15 9 second passes on a standard ram powergrip, with about 5000 street miles in between and it didnt give up till i tried to leave around 7000 rpms with my new motor.

I'm thinking I might give this DF CF disk and King Cobra PP a try. I've run a billet steel flywheel since well.... Since the first time I ever replaced a flywheel in a Fox.

You're right though... I don't think I'll need a Spec 3. My problem with the DF CF setup is that they don't seem to last very long. A slightly heavier PP might be the ticket.

It's not even $1000 to finish the conversion. You need a 26 spline input shaft, which is like $68 new on ebay now. You need a 31 spline output shaft which is $285. Hanlon motorsports can bore your 3550 tail housing to fit the 31 spline output shaft. I think they charge around $50 for the bore. You need a 31 spline yoke for your driveshaft which is around $90. I think that's it.

Kurt

Sorry to bring this back, but Im bored at work and started digging around and found this. I just stuffed a 3550 in. When/if it craps out, I can do this upgrade and it will be a tko 5/600? I immediately regret not seeing this before installing it this weekend because I would have happily sent it to them for the upgrades.

It will be like an old TKO with those mods. The TKO 500/600 has a slightly different gear ratio and a one piece countershaft to give it that high torque rating. The big torque capacity gains come from the larger input and output shaft.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
It will be like an old TKO with those mods. The TKO 500/600 has a slightly different gear ratio and a one piece countershaft to give it that high torque rating. The big torque capacity gains come from the larger input and output shaft.

Kurt
I forget what the TKO was rated at..... 425 lb ft? At any rate, Im more interested in fixing the chatter in my shifter in 5th right now, it works fine otherwise.