Best intake for my combo, help.

Mean88

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
I just pulled my explorer intake off of my mustang. I was going to port and polish the lower, but I got to thinking, would I be better off with a different intake? Here is some info on my current setup. Gt-40p's stage 1 port and bowl work 5 angle valve job, gt-40p headers, off road H, turbo mufflers, u/d pullies, Crower #511- 6* advance, .468/.486 lift 218*/224* @.50 114LSA, 1.7 rr's (bumps lift to .500/.520), 9.7:1 306 forged, 70mm tb, and thus a stock explorer intake.

Ran 13.228 @105.065 on drag radials/and a crappy launch-2.0 60ft.

Now, is it worth it to look for a better intake and sell my explorer? Would I net much gain from porting the lower-or should I expect more from an aftermarket?

I guess I would like some suggestions on some intakes that would match my combo the best. I know that the explorer upper is a little restrictive, that is why I am considering a different setup. What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Ted

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I guess my main concern is the upper. I compared the stats on tmoss's site, and it shows the 93 cobra intake at 200 average, the gt40 at 197 and the explorer at 178 average. The lowers are the same, so why such a difference? I dont want to make the lower flow 230-240 cfm, if the upper is going to cut it back down. What do you think?
Ted

Mean88 - that test was from 96 - more recent test have shown the Explorer to be the wqual of both the GT40 and the Cobra. AFM did a dyno with all 3 intakes on the same engine ands they all made with a couple of HP of each other all the way through the rpn range.

What does the "stage 1" porting translate to in cfm? The stock Explorer intake flows 205-210 cfm. If the heads flow more than 220cfm, then port the lower.

well, the panhandle performance company made these heads. They have the bowls worked, and I think flow around 205-210 cfm intake. I guess I would be better off porting the heads first, and then the intake. You are expirienced here tmoss, for a first time porter am I taking on a job I may not be able to handle if I fully port the heads too? Let me know what you know.