Best method to kill drone (many options inside)

90LX5spd

Aug 13, 2005
PA
Drone was not really an issue for me until I installed FRPP shorty headers (due to a GT40P installation). The rest of the sysyem consist of an off-road H-pipe and Dynomax 2 1/2 Ultraflow cat-back. Here's some methods I've read about to kill drone :1. Install a high flow catted H-pipe, 2. install longtubes (although I don't know if any will fit with the GT40Ps) 3. Install quieter mufflers like Hush Thrush, Thrush Turbos, 3 chamber Flowmasters or even a set of stockers (sorry but I don't have the money to blow on Corsas), 4. install deadhead chambers/pipes on the over the axle pipe to cancel out the drone harmonics. Which is best? The drone is so bad I can't drive the car anymore at 2000rpm.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I have an 85 that I put the GT40p heads on but I used the MAC headers (they work fine) since I was on a restore budget (may get them later if I find a deal). I have an offroad H-pipe with no cats going into a pair of modified 06 Stang mufflers which then dump into the over the axle tail pipes. Ford actually got the design of these mufflers right and they sound pretty good and have no drone...but then again my car is a vert and maybe I can't hear it...LOL.

I have been told that option #4 is the best answer. It reflects some of the acoustic energy back up the pipe, killing some of the drone. Jerry Beech, an old time Stangnetter was the one who told me & even had some pictures of the installation.