Best Performance Open Loop / Closed Loop?

• Sponsors (?)

Operating temperature, like was stated before. Cool air coming into a warm engine is optimum. A trick to get cool air is to put bags of ice on the intake manifold between runs. I think this only works well if your EGR passages are blocked at the heads though.

Operating temperature, like was stated before. Cool air coming into a warm engine is optimum. A trick to get cool air is to put bags of ice on the intake manifold between runs. I think this only works well if your EGR passages are blocked at the heads though.

Yeah I have done that before.....also one little note. I had a car just like yours excpet mine was a 2.3 turbo....slow but none the less a pace car replica:nice:

My memory on all the sensors that are used during WOT is a little fuzzy, but what I do remember is that all of the sensors are not used (the O2s for certain), and the others are not necessarily used in the same fashion that they are during normal closed loop part throttle driving.

Mind you, I don't have the reference material in front of me, but I do know that the computer switches over to some preset tables and that may include some pre-sampled tables, not just pre-programmed, for certain sensors.

Again, my memory is a little fuzzy, so it would be a good idea to verify that info. I'm not able to right now.

this might help..........

I typically love to round robin my cars when I'm testing and tuning. That said the second and third passes the car runs somewhat quicker (ET) but the MPH doesn't pick up significantly (a measurement of power). The ET probably picks up due to my getting into the game and my brain getting into the zone.

That said I do run phenolic intake spacers on both my cars. I have done extensive datalogging and documented this on eectunin.org also. Locating my ACT sensor in the lower intake (stock location) upper intake (bottom of Cobra dead center by the vacuum lines) and also in the fender well.

This is compared with two cars that are nearly identical in setup. The spacer helps let the UPPER get to ambient air temp quicker. If I mount the sensor in the lower it pretty much tracks the ECT but cooler.

I don't figure the air has time to exchange all the heat out but the UPPER is the single biggest heat sink on the engine that can effect air flow. So if it is cool then even if it isn't cooling the air by much, it certainly isn't adding any heat.

I have time slips where I'd make 17-25 passes in a night. The only time you see the car pick up any ET at all is when the night air gets cooler. It makes no difference between back to back rounds, the slips all remain close during the run times.

Now I have seen people ice their intakes down and claim to get a quicker ET. The key is the large upper intake can get very very cold doing that but you better get inline quick to get any advantage of the cold air exchange. Not only that but this only seems to work on the hottest of days. If the air is already around 70 degrees I havent seen much improvement in icing intake.

In any event, my cars will always natrually run quicker on cooler days but once I lay down the first time slip I know about what the car is going to do for THAT DAY.