Best Shocks and Springs? My Ride Quality SUCKS!

Starscream88

Mar 8, 2003
Park Ridge NJ
I dunno if there bad or just crap,

I have those White KYB Gas-A-Just Things,

And my ride is terrible
I feel every bump in the road,
Its not smooth, Its harsh and noisy inside the car,

I want smooth shocks,

What should I get?
Id like to lower the car and get good shocks,

Smooth ones, Nothing that cracks your ass bone when you go over a matchstick

• Sponsors (?)

What is your ride height at now? Measure from the center of the wheel up to the fender lip from the road. My guess is that your car may already be lowered. If you want it to ride good, do not lower your car, it will ride worse. Its hard to tell if you struts and shocks are bad when the springs are so worn out they wont allow you to bounce the car. Thats the condition mine were in. My ride height had settled to 25".

You might not have it listed in your signature, but getting some Subframe Connectors would help too. I'm not exactly sure about the shocks though. Fox's don't ride like they are on air or anything and are pretty rough stock. They squeak, rattle, and make all sorts of noise when you hit potholes and stuff. Subframes should help with the squeaks and rattles. I've always heard good things about Bilstein shocks and Tokico Illumina ones. I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but I'm assuming from the name of your current shocks that they are adjustable? Have you tried adjusting them to the softest level?

I have a vert. Talk about feeling every bump. I put in Bilsteins and it was a million times better. I had some subframe connectors welded in after, and the Bilsteins were so good that the subs made barely any difference in ride feel. My car is lowered 1.5", too, with MAC progressive springs.

Take that FWIW.

jerry beach said:
What is your ride height at now? Measure from the center of the wheel up to the fender lip from the road. My guess is that your car may already be lowered. If you want it to ride good, do not lower your car, it will ride worse. Its hard to tell if you struts and shocks are bad when the springs are so worn out they wont allow you to bounce the car. Thats the condition mine were in. My ride height had settled to 25".

I have a 90 gt stock suspension it the worst I feel every bump.I drove my friends 88 gt with tokico kit I think its lowered 1"1/4 it has a smooth ride and handles great I will be getting the same setup

It's funny you guys are b1tching about the ride of mostly stock suspension components. The aftermarket parts can only be stiffer than stock and I doubt they would actually help improve the ride.

My '89 has stock shocks and springs right now (albeit with a MM K-member brace and strut-tower brace) and it is surely not the softest car I've ridden in, but I don't want to have some cushy soft boat-mobile. If I did, I'd buy a Cadillac or a Buick. I'm ordering Tokico 5-ways and MM roadrace springs in a month or less.

Same here. Had a set of B springs and stock shocks and it rode nice. Then put the KYB's on and I swear I can feel bits of gravel and road salt now. Not really a good thing. I have a set of nearly new Monroes on the Capri that I'll probally put on when I part it out this summer.

Jamie

I've been a KYB fan myself. They are firmer than stock shocks. They are innexpensive performance shocks. Kind of like progressive vs. specific springs, the specifics are cheaper, will perform the same, but will give you a harsher ride. Some of the nicer shocks have systems in them that allow for firmness while dampening smaller bumbs better than the KYB's, but they cost more. So I guess you could say that KYB's are "specific shocks" since they dampen all bumps the same throughout the travel. Never thought of this that way, but that is what comes to my mind.

When I bought my car, it rode harsh. Then about a month later, the struts in the front siezed up. Especailly the RF, I hit a speed bump then the car looked like it was lowered. The suspension was rock hard after that, it was real responsive in turns but nearly came airborne on the highway. I put the KYB's in and it rode totally different. Much smoother and handled ten times as well. I am not saying KYB's are the best out there, but I am saying they have worked well for me. I even have them on my beater car.

First off, the stock ride is anything but comfortable. Age of the car plays a big role in this also. But it is not as harsh as you describe. The suspension system should be matched for best ride and handling. What I mean is, the shocks should be matched to the spring. I have ridden in an '88 GT with Koni reds set on full firm with stock springs and it rode like a brick, I made an appointment with my chiropractor after. From what I have heard KYB shocks give a stiff ride. Get a good quality shock like Tokico,Koni,Bilstein and talk with the pros like Maximum Motorsports or Griggs for springs. Remember, you get what you pay for.

The Kyb's are a much harder shock/strut compared to some of the other company out there. I had the same set up as treky5 said about his freinds car. Only difference is I had kyb Quads. I figure that they are so stiff that it would help fight any wheel hop, and plant those baby to the ground. :nice:

I believe a few of the posters here miss how a suspension is suppossed to work - the chassis needs to be as completely solid and stiff as possible and the only real job of the springs and shocks are to keep the wheels planted to the ground.

If you have too much flex in your chassis, then it makes it much harder for the springs and shocks to do their job and in most cases when you feel every bump it's because the chassis is tossing you around, not necessarily the bump itself.

Here's my experience from a convertible owners point of view:

I've learned the hard way about these suspensions, I started out with Monroe sensa-tracs believing their BS articles. They made the the ride worse because they were way too loose - I'd find myself in a corner with the rear tires breaking loose way too often and not feel it coming on. Then I bought the KYB's - no better at all, I think they may have been too stiff for a convertible. Finally I talked Jon Dega from Springfield Motorsport and he explained to me that what I really needed was to stiffen up the chassis - he installed subframe connectors w/ extreme matrix and strut and g-braces and it was a HUGE difference and I still had the stock springs and KYB struts. A few months later he installed the CC plates and again there was a huge difference in cornering ability.

Finally a couple years after that I installed the Bilsteins and Eibach Pro's and the ride was much firmer, but to me it was more comfortable because I felt more comfortable going into turns and launching was extremely improved. So I'd highly recommend tightening up your chassis before playing with your shocks and springs.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

I don't know if you can still get them, but years ago I bought a set of Monroe Formula GP shocks, struts and quads from Saleen. They were what they were using on some of their cars back then. I love them. They are firmer than stock, but not too firm. They sure made a difference in handling. They have lasted a long time too.

Anyone use Steeda springs here? How would they compare with some other brands that are out there. I wanted to go with Steeda springs, and Tokico non adjustable shocks and struts. Anyone have experience with these springs. I would probably just go with the sport springs. I will be stiffening up the chassis with a MM chassis brace kit before anything else.

Thanks,
Chris