Bi-Fuel with Natural Gas??

Well, this great spike in gas prices (we're up to about $2.20/gal. in Oregon) has got me thinking about trying something different so I don't have to pay those greedy buggers. So I was thinking, we have a natural gas hookup at my house, so I could get "free" natural gas (parents ;) ) and not have to pay! Anyone heard of this before, done it? The theory is simple (I think) take a CNG tank, put it in your car somewhere, get a regulator, plug it into your fuel system and have at it. The questions I have about that is can you run a gas through stock injectors? and would it run ok on natural gas instead of gas? or would i need a new computer for my car to make it work? Also, the ever important hp gains/losses I might suffer? Anybody have any ideas? Thought I'd throw it out there.....

Thanks,
-Bart

• Sponsors (?)

Whole different gig man - gasoline is a liquid - the system is set up to handle it that way; natural gas is a gas. You'd need a completely separate fuel management system - but it can be done. There are plenty of natural gas powered vehicles out there. But here's the real problem -- you have extremely low pressures available to you at the house. And you'd need to store it at extremely high pressures to get enough of it in a small tank to be useful - like 3000 psi. LNG is liquefied natural gas - natural gas which is cryogenically liquefied. So, you either need a compressor station at home to pressurize the gas, or a liquefaction set up to liquefy it. And natural gas prices track oil prices -- they're high too. I suspect when you bring all the tens of thousands of dollars of equipment in to either compress or liquefy the natural gas, if that doesn't get your parents attention - the first natural gas bill that arrives will. There may be natural gas refilling stations in your area - so if you can afford to get the car converted (probably a couple grand), you might be able to get it filled at one of those. But then you'd have to pay (not parents). So, no, I don't think it's gonna save you the money you think it will. :)

Natural gas has lower specific energy values than gasoline, so setting one up to run dual fuel results in about a 15% loss of power compared to gasoline. However, it has an extremely high octane rating. If you set one up to run on natural gas exclusively, they will tolerate extremely high compression ratios, as well as tolerating boost really well.

So can it be done - yeah, there are plenty of natural gas powered vehicles out there - most of the local gas companies have some in their fleets. Is it practical for you the way you've described it? No.

I've riden in a NG powered Ford Contour, rode like any other contour. As described before not worth it. Maby you need a dialy driver that sipps gas, or one of these hybrid thingies.

Thanks Michael, I was hoping a guru like you would add their $.02, that's what I was sort of afraid of, guess i'll just have to bite the bullet and pay... I thought it was a neat idea though, I just hate paying so much for gas. (imagine that)

Thanks!
-Bart

GAS BOYCOTT !!! MAY 19-

Off topic, but want people to see... Take Part !!!
Don't let them scam use over gas prices..

E-mail info below to other friends or family members !

THE GAS BOYCOTT!

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES. AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

The post above is a bunch of crap. I'd like to put it more eloquently, but the server's 'censor' will just insert asterisks.

We've always enjoyed the lowest gasoline prices in the world. If you allow for inflation, even at a buck and half a gallon earlier in the year, gas prices are lower than they've been for almost 50 YEARS! $2 gas today would've cost about 40 cents a gallon 30 years ago. And 30 years ago, the first 'embargo' hit and prices jumped from 40 cents to up over 50 cents a gallon. We were all sure the world was coming to an end. It's almost funny now. Even at $2 a gallon, gasoline is a bargain compared to what it has been, how prices have increased on everything else, and how much the rest of the world pays. Why is there no 'stick it up their behind' boycott of the vast majority of other consumables which have increased at MUCH higher rates than fuel/energy? Because compared to the most of the rest of the world, we've got it made, that's why. And we've got it made on fuel costs too -- big time -- even at $2.00 a gallon.

We consume more gasoline and energy per capita than any other place in the world by a HUGE amount. The fact that we have it available to use ought to be seen as an amazing tribute to our way of life. Instead it seems some folks out there think it ought to be a birthrite not only to have way more of it available than anyone else, but to be able to waste it cheaply. It's that kind of arrogance that has a lot of the rest of the planet upset at the U.S. these days - rightfully so. A dose of humility would go a long way. You want to do something to send a market signal? Buy a vehicle that's more efficient and USE IT. That will send a long term market signal not only to energy producers but to the manufacturers as well.

It will be interesting to watch Ford/GM/Dodge try to navigate all this. About all they can produce with any significant volume/profitability are vehicles that don't get very good fuel mileage. If energy prices stay high, soccer moms will be dying to get out of their SUV's. Bubba will start to worry IF it's "got a Hemi" in it. The used market will be flooded with guzzlers which will make them dirt cheap. And prices on more efficient vehicles - which those manufacturers are in short supply of - will climb because demand will exceed supply. And it won't take long before someone, in the name of supporting the domestic auto makers, posts a "Boycott the purchase of 'foreign' vehicles that get good gas mileage - they're gouging us on the price". Oh my. Here we go again.

As for me, I think I'll let both of mine run on down toward "E", and fill them both up on the 19th. I own stock in energy companies. Gotta do my part to help 'em out.

Word Mike, I've been to every continent on this planet that is populated save africa. They use liters in south american and it costs about 3 US dollars per liter for cheap gas there. A liter is about half a gallon. 1 US dollar is about 3 or 4 Reis (Brazilian currency). You do the math... We have the most gas guzzling cars per person anywhere... Taiwan, China, Singapore, Hong Kong... UK, Spain, all those places are paying 3 and 4 times what we are on average salaries that are half what ours are... I'm all for the Great U.S. of A. No place like it. But we need to stop being so ignorant... My mustang isn't my only car, and I drive the hell outa my corolla...