SN95 Block Screwed?

mjcxking

Aug 26, 2016
I'm wondering if my block is done or not. It's a 302 xxx block and has a chip in the bottom and looks like a piece is bent back. It's been bored over .030 over and I smoothed down the chip. The chip never goes below the piston rings. Opinions?

Attachments

• 20160822_172358.jpg
    20160822_172358.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Sponsors (?)

That's some pretty impressive damage. What in the world happened, did it break a wrist pin or something?

I honestly wouldn't put that back together without having it magnafluxed at the least. Then, if you do run it you'd have to radius the edges of the chip with a grinder so it's nice and smooth. You want that because jagged sharp corners like that are stress points more cracks can develop in. Even very small points. Jagged=bad.

Even then I'd be nervous.. But, I've seen people run some crazy stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
That's some pretty impressive damage. What in the world happened, did it break a wrist pin or something?

I honestly wouldn't put that back together without having it magnafluxed at the least. Then, if you do run it you'd have to radius the edges of the chip with a grinder so it's nice and smooth. You want that because jagged sharp corners like that are stress points more cracks can develop in. Even very small points. Jagged=bad.

Even then I'd be nervous.. But, I've seen people run some crazy stuff.
I'd have it checked too,..but in the end, it's only a little more than what you see removed on purpose to gain clearance for the recip assy on a stroker build.

His block was just "self clearancing",....subliminally suggesting that it's time for a 347 build....

Reactions: 3 users