BLOWN UP 2011 5.0

I wonder if 11Coyote is even logging back in to read this thread. I'm sure the thought process was more along the lines of "I'll get all these 'Stang folks behind me and twist Ford's Arm" and instead got "all these 'Stang folks calling me an idiot or saying sorry about your luck".

However, truth is, we all wish you the best and hope you get some relief, but most of all that you learn from the experience or better yet, that someone else learns from your experience.
5 Lessons:
1. Don't trust sales people in dealerships. Its not that there aren't good guys out there being honest (I bought my car from one of them, and wish him all the best), its that you don't know whether they are or not. Until you do, don't trust them.
2. Get it in writing because of #1. If its in writing signed by a legal representative of the dealership, they're liable, otherwise its just a pipe dream.
3. Modify your car at your own risk. Realize that Tunes and Mods are cool and great, but if you don't have the money to clean up after their messes, don't. If you do have the money and if a dealer decides to cover it, you're good, and if they don't, you're still good.
4. Don't complain about screwing yourself over in a public forum, unless you like being called an idiot, or just want to help others learn from your lapses in judgement.
5. Don't threaten to sue a dealership after bad mouthing them publicly, it probably will come back to haunt you. Yes, Lawyers are smart people who can put 2 and 2 together and figure out who 11coyote is, and if they can't the people they hire can ('cause they have money too).

Either way, 11Coyote we'd like to know how this turns out.

I'm not a fan of kicking a dude when he's down but reading this thread brings to mind the number of people out there who HAVE NO BUSINESS modifying ANY car. They don't do their homework, they don't understand the possible repercussions of the mods they just slap on, and are therefore, not prepared to accept responsibility for what they've done when all goes BOOM.

So for all the folks out there that come out of the movie theater having watched Fast and Furious but have more money than understanding... GET QUALIFIED HELP BEFORE YOU MOD.

It feels like I've been screaming and hollering about the evil of off-the-shelf tunes for years. Two cars that roll off the line one right after the other are DIFFERENT! If you decide to tune a car for ANY reason, then go to a qualified tuner.

To the OP. Sorry about your luck bro but this is what happens when you don't understand how things work before you do them. Would have been great if you'd signed up as a member here a couple of months BEFORE you slapped that tuner onto your ride. :(

• Sponsors (?)

I feel your pain and frustration. The root cause of this whole problem is what your were told by the dealer about its being OK with the tune and nitrous. You should have had that "OK" put in writing with a signature. I guarantee they would NOT have signed it. They mislead you bigtime.

Being a risk averse person by nature, I wouldn't even consider messing with a stock engine fresh off the assembly line. The risk of a resulting bad situation is too great. You need to understand and be willing to bear the circumstances of your decision.

I'm not a fan of kicking a dude when he's down but reading this thread brings to mind the number of people out there who HAVE NO BUSINESS modifying ANY car. They don't do their homework, they don't understand the possible repercussions of the mods they just slap on, and are therefore, not prepared to accept responsibility for what they've done when all goes BOOM.

So for all the folks out there that come out of the movie theater having watched Fast and Furious but have more money than understanding... GET QUALIFIED HELP BEFORE YOU MOD.

It feels like I've been screaming and hollering about the evil of off-the-shelf tunes for years. Two cars that roll off the line one right after the other are DIFFERENT! If you decide to tune a car for ANY reason, then go to a qualified tuner.

To the OP. Sorry about your luck bro but this is what happens when you don't understand how things work before you do them. Would have been great if you'd signed up as a member here a couple of months BEFORE you slapped that tuner onto your ride. :(
Yea dude, I'm not a big fan on changing the tune of a car unless it is a must. I'm in aggreement with you a 100 percent.

O.p. should have actually went to a dyno, especially with such a new engine like the Coyote. Jumping on the "bandwagon" has its consequences, and a pricey one at that when a car company develops new engine.

The more people realize that the heart of this country's soul is to make as much money as possible. Collateral damage is assumed but not absorbed, and my fear is that the O.p. is collateral damage. If Ford is wrong, Ford won't admit it. Cost money to be wrong, more money then to be right in the corparate world.

Ford has more lawyers then the O.p. has money and they will tie up the litagation process until the O.p. drops the lawsuit. Lawyers charge by the hour. The Justice system is labourious and slow, so that they can cross there "T's" and dot there "I's".

Its normal to be pissed, but no good can come out of that law suit. Buy your self a crate-engine and call it a day.

I'm feeling as though I am digressing, my heart goes out to you.

Mike didnt void ****, the owner is the one who decided to have the car tuned
I agree, but Mike did the work on the car. Mike did remind him that there would no longer be a warranty on the car?

According to the owner, Mike said:
I then called BAMA tuning and talked to Mike, Mike was very helpful and said that he would do anything to help me fix the problem and get my car fixed.

If the quote is true, maybe they will pull the head off and take a look? "White" smoke usually means a head gasket blew (water got in the combustion chamber).

I've seen nothing that would tell me that it is a failure of the rotating assembly. He did the right thing by shutting down the engine and towing it to a shop. Did the shop drain the oil and look at the fluid for signs of water? Did they check the radiator for signs of oil? Did they pull the oil filter and look for metal shavings?

I would have done it first to my engine. And I am just a shade-tree guy that only works on my cars. This isn't rocket science.
My last rebuild:
65rebuild.jpg

Attachments

• 65rebuild.jpg
    65rebuild.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 118
Lets be fair. He may be a dumb a$$ for being surprised that his mods voided his warranty, and he may be a dumb a$$ for believing the sales manager, but if modding a brand new car makes him a dumb a$$ then most of us here are dumb a$$es as well.

That's a fairly poor analogy of his situation. I don't consider myself a 'dumb ass' for modding my ride. As a professional (now retired), I am fully aware of the consequences of modding a 'new' car. Most people are. At least, those who do their homework before making a decision to alter their brand new stock ride. The 'informed' are not dumb asses, they make decisions based on knowledge of consequences.

Under the OP's story, the dealer could have told him he could run the thing above redline for the entire day and Ford would back the warranty should the engine have a meltdoown. It's like telling someone, "Hey, I got some Pacific Arizona shoreline property to sell ya for cheap!" Sales people at dealerships are there to sell you a car anyway they can. Most of them couldn't tell you a thing about the car itself because they don't usually know anything about them. In many cases, they are new at that dealership. That's like a rule of thumb going in to purchase: 'Car buying 101". 1. DO NOT trust the sales guy on any unwritten incentive! Get it in writing and signed off by the dealership owner.

That's a fairly poor analogy of his situation. I don't consider myself a 'dumb ass' for modding my ride. As a professional (now retired), I am fully aware of the consequences of modding a 'new' car. Most people are. At least, those who do their homework before making a decision to alter their brand new stock ride. The 'informed' are not dumb asses, they make decisions based on knowledge of consequences.

Under the OP's story, the dealer could have told him he could run the thing above redline for the entire day and Ford would back the warranty should the engine have a meltdoown. It's like telling someone, "Hey, I got some Pacific Arizona shoreline property to sell ya for cheap!" Sales people at dealerships are there to sell you a car anyway they can. Most of them couldn't tell you a thing about the car itself because they don't usually know anything about them. In many cases, they are new at that dealership. That's like a rule of thumb going in to purchase: 'Car buying 101". 1. DO NOT trust the sales guy on any unwritten incentive! Get it in writing and signed off by the dealership owner.

Just wanted to add that the quote you're responding to is out of context. SVTpilot was responding to a post that I have removed from the thread. He was being facetious in response to someone else referring to people who mod new cars as, "dumbasses".

Something tells me that this guy knows his goose is cooked, just needed a place to vent, and is never coming back.

But if the OP does actually come back, first, if you are any kind of car guy at all, remember that you almost certainly will know more about the car you are looking at than the salesperson, so trust yourself, not the salesman. Second, if BAMA has any kind of warranty you are under, that is your only chance of any recourse. Ford will not and does not have to cover a product they did not produce.

I'd personally never tune a car for this very reason. I know the chances are fairly small, but the risk is very large, too. Those engineers working at Ford are pretty smart and pretty thorough at what they do, so you have to realize that there are going to be trade-offs, usually in the reliability department. Odds are, the guys in the aftermarket shop aren't going to do a better overall job than Ford can, particularly when the aftermarket guys did none on the design work on the engine and its plumbing.

My advice from here, buy a crate engine, and if you still must have a tune, buy the Ford Racing tune, so you at least get a 3/36 warranty.

I wonder if his SYNC worked

Posted via iPhone via the now properly working tapatalk that Noobz347 got fixed. He's my sho drivin hero!

Reactions: 1 user
Stuff like this makes me sick, What give you the right to sue anyone?

If you really have owned all those cars how in the world have you not learned how to deal with a car dealership?

The #1 rule for any "promises" or "guarantees" from dealerships is GET IT IN WRITING AND *SIGNED* by a dealership rep then it doesnt matter what they say later you MIGHT have a chance in court then... Going into court saying well the salesman that no longer works there told me so is going to get you NO WHERE and this is me ignoring the fact that you have no right to sue at all. YOU signed the papers bud, YOU bought the tune without doing research, YOU didnt read BAMA's disclosure and YOU blew your engine

But you are stuck on "well others blew their #8 too!" I think the problem here is your fundamental lack of respect and morals for how business works. I feel for you bro, i really do but this is gonna have to be chucked up to lesson learned in the best case scenario and if you are really unlucky a ford rep will see this ridiculous post and sue YOU for slander claiming stock ford engines fail with no basis or proof to back it up...

Next time get it in writing, as for me, i have a 2011 Mustang GT and i didnt get it tuned for the sole reason that it is a first year engine and i dont want to risk it, after my warranty goes then i may look into it but until then 412HP is plenty for me.

Law Suits dont get you anywhere bro ford has millions to spend to defend themselves and since you are complaining about 10k im sure you dont have near that kind of money. And ford WILL spend millions to stop this because if they have to fix yours they will have to fix everyone's so if you do go through with this stupid law suit (and it is stupid) be prepared for a long battle and a lot more than 10k spent on a lawyer.

If i were you i would ask BAMA about their warranty and call it a day. Sucks man but you made the mistake, Good Luck

Hello fellow Ford owners,

I have joined this Forum to let as many people know about my problem as I can.

In April of 2011 I bought a 2011 Mustang 5.0 C/S, I was told by the dealer RUSSEL & SMITH FORD in Houston, TX that they would allow me to use Nitrous and a Tune on the vehicle and if any problems I brought it back to them, they would fix the problem and take care of me. Authorized by the Sales Manager.

I DID NOT USE NITROUS, i did however buy a SCT tuner and Cold Air from AmericanMuscle.com and Tunes by BAMA. Tune was installed on the vehicle when it had aprox. 1500 miles on it. From April to January the car had 4,600 miles put on it. Thats 500 miles a month. Just recently the car started to smoke (white) so I called the dealer, they advised me to bring it in and let them take a look at it. I did not want to drive it to possibly cause more damage to it so I called a wrecked under my Ford Warranty.

When the car was at the dealer it was determined that CYLINDER #8 was bad and the dealership told me that I needed a new motor. Prior to bringing the car in the Cold air was removed and the tune was taken off and returned to stock. The dealership advised that the car had been tuned and that my Ford warranty was voided. They quoted me $10,640.70 to fix my BRAND NEW CAR. I went to the dealership to talk to the Sales Manager and he no longer works there. I talked to the GM and he told me that the Sales Manager would never say that and that I would have to fix the car out of pocket. I then called the VP of the dealership and he also told me there was nothing he could do, but agreed that the car should not have blown up with that little miles no matter what.

I then called BAMA tuning and talked to Mike, Mike was very helpful and said that he would do anything to help me fix the problem and get my car fixed. He suggested that I call Ford Motor Company Customer Relations and talk to them about the problem because apparently this is a ongoing problem and happens to 100% stock 2011 5.0's.

I called Customer Relations at FORD and I told them what had been going on and they basically told be I am screwed and that I had to fix it out of pocket. I let them know that their lack of wanting to help would cause nothing but bad publicity for them and they again did not seem to care.

I am (was) a Ford man, but this incident has let me down in believing in Ford backing their products. I have had a Fully built Z06, Built 03 Cobra, 550 WHP Integra, and never have I had a problem like this much less with a BRAND NEW CAR!! I guess that is what happens when you buy a first year motor.

I hope everyone will read this and learn that #1. Never listen to a dealership even if it is a Manager. #2. Do not buy a first year motor. #3. FORD is not willing to help you out.

I have been doing research and I have read a few articles where these 100% stock Mustangs have been blowing up CYLINDER #8. I will be filing a law suit against Ford and the Dealership on this matter. Please PM me if you have had any of the same problems with your 5.0.

I would like to give props to BAMA Tuning for stepping up to bat for their customers and WANTING to help!

1. Don't believe anything a salesman tells you.
2. Your car is not brand new. You modified it and drove it.
3. Apparently it still runs, but smokes. You can have #8 cylinder, piston, rings, etc repaired for WAY under 10k.
Fix it and move on. Ford is not responsible. BAMA maybe, but don't hold your breath.
Just my 2 cents

I would do a tune on a brand new 5.0, but only from FMS or Steeda. A tune by Ford Racing is obviously NOT going to have the issues that an independent tuner might have due to lack of experience or knowledge. I would trust a Steeda tune simply because they work hand in hand with Ford Racing developing not only Steeda parts and pieces but also they do the design and development for Ford Racing as well on those same parts. If Roush offered a tune I would probably trust that as well. Otherwise I would do a wait and see on the independent folks to see if they get there act together. Look at what Kenne Bell is getting for HP out of one of the supercharged 5.0 bone ass stock. Over 800 HP without failure, why? Because Kenne Bell knows there S*** when it comes to boosted tunes. Same with Vortech/Paxton ect. These folks do thousands of hours of research and development before releasing anything to the public. I think the OP issues is strickly a tune issue and not a 5.0 engine issue.