Body dipping

• Sponsors (?)

depending upon layers of paint gunk etc i was quoted at ~800-1200 for the shell, then ~100 per indiv part (door,trunklid, fender, hood, etc).

the place is Redistrip, I believe theyre a chain, I saw a reccomendation to them from the my classic car site, and found one local by me in chicagoland area.

I had mine soda blasted, it was reasonable did a super job and when its done theres no sand or other media left behind in every nook and cranny, the soda dissolves and rinses away.

I am by NO means a professional at this, but talk to people who are. They say to stay away from the dipping, as it can and will eat EVERYTHING away. Supposedly it can weaken or fatigue sheetmetal. Also hear it has a tendency to drip or Ooze out of crevices and foul up newly applied paint. I had my 67 media blasted and epoxy primed for just shy of $2,000. If only I didn't have to leave soon for Iraq...again...Again...not an expert, nor have I tried it, but MANY I've talked to have said the same thing about it....

Any sort of stripping will have it's downsides. Soda blasting is by far the best, well maybe dry ice, but anyway I couldn't find anybody that did soda blasting around me. I had some parts plastic bead blasted but wasn't real happy with the results. It left some rust behind. I had the body shell sand blasted and couldn't be happier. It was the best $400.00 i spent so far. The only thing I have to complain about is the sand gets in EVERYTHING and is a pain in the ass to clean up. Just when I though I had it all out of the car more comes oozing out of a crack.

68rustang said:
Any sort of stripping will have it's downsides. Soda blasting is by far the best, well maybe dry ice, but anyway I couldn't find anybody that did soda blasting around me. I had some parts plastic bead blasted but wasn't real happy with the results. It left some rust behind. I had the body shell sand blasted and couldn't be happier. It was the best $400.00 i spent so far. The only thing I have to complain about is the sand gets in EVERYTHING and is a pain in the ass to clean up. Just when I though I had it all out of the car more comes oozing out of a crack.

You'll find sand in some crevice 20 yrs from now too, lol. The soda doesnt remove heavy bondo or heavy rust, my car didnt have any of either so it worked great for me.

TT670 said:
You'll find sand in some crevice 20 yrs from now too, lol.

I forgot to mention that I wouldn't blast with anything that doesn't dissolve unless you plan on using a rotisserie. For a couple weeks after my car was blasted I would lock it in the rotisserie at different angle and let it sit overnight. I was suprised the next day each time by how much sand had fallen out. It's not a big deal but be prepared with compressed air and a shop vac if you decide to go the blasting route.

The other caveat with sand is that it generates a lot of heat and can warp panels. That's why plastic became popular. It would melt before the metal would warp.

Acid dipping can also eat away all the glues and seam fillers applied at the factory that you would really rather keep.

I wouldn't dip a car. JMO....

Max Power said:
The other caveat with sand is that it generates a lot of heat and can warp panels...

That is very true, but if you have alot of rust you want stripped sand is really the best solution. If you go to somenody that is familiar with doing cars then they should be aware of the warping danger. Call around and see who has experience. Most cars guys will keep pictures of cars they have done.

I don't like the texture that sand blasting leaves. I think the particles are too big or too heavy (dense), so more work would be required to smooth out the texture. I had some small parts sand blasted, and I wouldn't do it again.

I've also heard bad things about caustic dips, so I wouldn't use one. No direct experience, though.

Hack said:
I don't like the texture that sand blasting leaves. I think the particles are too big or too heavy (dense), so more work would be required to smooth out the texture.

The resulting surface finish is entirely dependant upon how coarse the media (sand) being used is. There are upsides and downsides to everything. A couple passes with sandpaper or scotchbrite pad and the blasted surface is nice and smooth.

I'd like to have my car either soda blasted or sand blasted but can't find anybody to do it in my area, Jax.,FL. I would prefer soda just because it will clean up easier but either way would make me happy. I wonder if I could buy the soda blasting media somewhere and do it myself but dont know where to buy it from.

68FBJJZ109 said:
It came out good, nothing but bare metal, though you do have to clean it very well, because some of the acid will leak out of the seams. I have some pictures if you want to see them.

If you have pictures that would be great. You can post them or email them to [email protected].

What did you do after it was dipped. Did you coat in epoxy primer? I was looking for an E coat place, but cannot find one local. I am thinking you can probably get to most places with a paint gun.

Thanks...Mike