BOOOOOOOOST!!

quickstang281

Mar 10, 2008
new jersey
alright. i have a 98 gt and i wanna turbo it. fabrication is not an issue, nor a turbo, intercooler, piping, etc. i just want some opinions on wat would be safe on my stock motor...first off i hear these cars already have forged pistons and rods. dont know how true that is. second off, my friend has a shop and has some turbo's layin around. i'm lookin to get a small one and push low boost (6-10psi) what do you think would be my best bet and safest on my motor?

• Sponsors (?)

Well whoever told you a 98 GT has forged pistons and rods must be smoking some good grass!

They have hypertetic pistons and powdered metal rods... People run 400rwhp all day long without a problem most of the time, but over that number and it seems there begain to be more engine faliures. The strong point is the block and crank... the block will handle some very serious power, and the cranks are good for 5-600 rwhp in most cases.

Most people seem to run 9-12psi, but even 6-10 will make a fun car.

Have fun fabbing, and most important get the correct supporting fuel modifications and TUNE IT RIGHT!!!

alright. i have a 98 gt and i wanna turbo it. fabrication is not an issue, nor a turbo, intercooler, piping, etc. i just want some opinions on wat would be safe on my stock motor...first off i hear these cars already have forged pistons and rods. dont know how true that is. second off, my friend has a shop and has some turbo's layin around. i'm lookin to get a small one and push low boost (6-10psi) what do you think would be my best bet and safest on my motor?

if he just has some turbos layin around...they are probably left over from old turbo 4-bangers which only made 6-10psi in the first place.....they wont push that much to a v8......and no your stock motor is not forged

haha yeah i didnt really believe it either but i had to ask...but yeah im goin to wyotech and i just started the high performance powertrains class and i have a couple buddies in chassis fab. and he said he could make me some manifolds and what not...but what size turbo would you recomend, and what size injectors & fuel pump?

First of all, it unfortunately doesn't have forged internals. The pistons are cast and the rods power formed I believe.

I'd say 9-10psi with a good intercooler and a good tune would be safe.

What turbos does your friend happen to have laying around? What looks like a big turbo can easily be too tiny when you have 4.6l to feed it with. It's probably just as easy or easier to go twin turbos that are smaller than trying to make a single turbo setup.

Turbos generally require much more fabrication. The kits are expensive, some of fab'd them by themselves, but that requires a lot of know how. just depends on what you are doing, and what your paying to have done.

Id get ready to spend 5-8 grand on the parts, install cost, and tune.

By the way... definatly check out www.turbomustangs.com if you are making this a DIY project. They have a huge forum dedicated to exactly what you want to do.

There are guys over there that have made very nice 4.6 kits for right around the 2k mark +/- a little.

A few different ways to go about it also.

Id go S/C unless you are looking for serious HP. If you have the turbos thats one thing but a Vortech with an aftercooler would prolly be less and more fun on the street with less fiddling. The turbo cars are nuts, dont get me wrong I :hail2: them but there is usually not always but usually constant tweeking of boost and tuning. S/C cars are not AS sensative to temp changes. IDK if anyone makes a positive displacement S/C for the 96-98 2V but that would be the best on the street cause it makes our little 281s feel like big blocks :nice: