Borg Warner T10 Speedometer Cable + Gear

hivewax

Jan 1, 2006
Miami, FL
speedometer + odometer are not working in the car... it just stopped while driving on the highway at 80-90mph. the speedometer cable snapped and the teeth of the plastic gear are damaged. Borg Warner T10 4-speed transmission. can i blame the shop for it breaking? they replaced the seal at the tail-shaft end and the transmission mount.

i've heard finding a steel gear is rare. anyone know where to look? TIA

• Sponsors (?)

looking thru CJ Pony Parts online. p/n HW1279. type 3 is right rotation, while type 3a is left rotation. will i have to take out the gear to match??

and, is SC16 the right cable? it says concourse correct and fits all factory type transmissions. is the 4-speed T10 factory?!

hah, you got me on those (rotation) It would have been better for em to list the side the cable goes into the tailhousing. The shafts all rotate the same direction, the difference is which side the cable plugs into. One side rotates the cable the opposite from the other. Thje cables are the same for all applications, the only difference would be the length, that too depends on which side the cable plugs into the tail. The T10 was a factory option in Fords in the mid 60's

I looked on CJ's site and only came up with two gears, both the same rotation. Neither gave an application. Mustang's unlimited only listed one gear. it was an 8 tooth, the CJ'sa were 6 or 7. I do know there are reverse cut gears, I have both in my shop. One was for the drivers side speedo, the other for the passenger side hole.

I just swapped out a 3 speed for a 4 speed toploader and had to get a new (longer) cable and reverse driven and drive gears. I got mine from CJs. Their catalog has a more complete listing of gears, more so than their web site does. I needed the black 7 tooth speedo drive gear and I don't remember off hand which driven gear I needed. The Toploader uses the gear that goes into the passanger's of the transmission while my 3 speed used the one for the left. All I had to do was count the gears and buy reverse versions through CJs.