Bought a 88 Turbo coupe, $300!!!

red390gt

Nov 15, 2004
CT
I stopped by and looked at an 88 Turbo Coupe that was for sale and I have driven past everyday for the last year or so. As I was looking at the car at the end of the driveway outcame to owner. He said it's your for $300!! I said OK I'll take it. Everything is still there but it has some slight body damage to the driver side front fender. New 16" tires and perfe3ct factory wheels. I am getting it brought to my house this weekend and I plan to swap the drivetrain into my 92 Mustang convertible. So you guys are going to see me asking a bunch of questions in the near future aout this swap.

• Sponsors (?)

I was lucky enough to receive an 85 svo that was wrecked in the front from my uncle. His 84 svo was rear ended and the only thing needed were the taillights. He found an svo in Rolla, MO. and took the lights and then sold me the rest. My dad and I swapped everything over from the drivetrain to the interior and the wiring.

Parts swap

I am now getting into taking parts off the 88 TurboCoupe to put on the vert. Will the TurboCoupe 8.8" rear end work in the 92 stang? same width as the stock 92 stang rear? Also, I just need to figure out the wiring issues.

SVOconvLX85 said:
I was lucky enough to receive an 85 svo that was wrecked in the front from my uncle. His 84 svo was rear ended and the only thing needed were the taillights. He found an svo in Rolla, MO. and took the lights and then sold me the rest. My dad and I swapped everything over from the drivetrain to the interior and the wiring.
I found a 85 SVO hood and nose, so I may put them on the 92 to make it look like an SVO (but it's a convertible).

red390gt said:
I am now getting into taking parts off the 88 TurboCoupe to put on the vert. Will the TurboCoupe 8.8" rear end work in the 92 stang? same width as the stock 92 stang rear? Also, I just need to figure out the wiring issues.

Yes! (I always like to answer a question with a pic)

Completerearend.jpg

I'm swapping everything from an '87 TC to an '89 convert. Click on 'Thunderstang' in my sig to see the buildup.

The best wiring site I've found is www.flemworld.com. Stinger has a good site also - http://projecthp.ford23.com.

Attachments

• Completerearend.jpg
    Completerearend.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 76
Yep! Just pull the TC axles and slide in the 'Stang axles. TC axles are 3/4" longer than 'Stang axles (due to the ABS ring). Both axle housings are exactly the same width.

The only problem is (and there always seems to be one), you'll need offset caliper brackets to make the TC disc brakes work. They can be acquired through www.northracecars.com. A little pricey at $150 but a very simple bolt-on! You may be able to make your own but you'd pretty much need access to a full machine shop!