brake question-RUBBING CALIPER

Hey guys I first started hearing my caliper rub like five days ago. I also noticed a lot of brake dust that built up on the left rear tire. I knew it was the left rear immediately. I went to Midas and they took off the tire, and I had a look. The inner brake pad was worn down completely, and it was rubbing metal on metal. I knew I had to replace the rodor b/c of the metal on metal rub. But the guy also mentioned that I needed to replace my caliper. Is this absolutely necessary? Or can it be re-aligned so it doesn't rub?

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you had a frozen caliper (the piston would not retract into the bore when you released the pedal), so that brake was always applied. I don't know any way to eliminate the problem without rebuilding or replacing the caliper.

When a brake pad is worn on one side only, it usually means the caliper pins seized. It's a common problem on these Varga-style calipers.

The caliper most likely is fine. Seized calipers sieze open. The pad wears away and you have no brake. The fact that only one side wore meant the caliper couldn't slide on the caliper pins to engage the other pad.

The increase in brake dust is a result of the extra heat released.

Usually, all it takes is relubing the caliper slide pins, slapping in new pads and sliding on a rotor.