Brakes and Coolant

cjwillwin

May 9, 2011
My brake light is on and brake fluid is low. Can this be topped off with any brake fluid or does it need to be the same as the last brand?

Same question for coolant (although it's not low).

My buddies mom needs his car and it turns out I'm now driving to Arizona from San Francisco on Monday.

I'm like 90% sure the car will make it, just wanna take care of the loose ends before I start praying.

• Sponsors (?)

Quick rule of thumb on mixing brake fluid is to NEVER mix DOT 5 brake fluid with DOT 3 or 4.

Low brake fluid level ?

A) Is the car parked on a flat/level surface?
B) Are there any obvious brake fluid leaks?
C) Are the brake pads worn? Most likely.

The car might very well be in need of new pads (not much pad material left, so the brake fluid has more room to "travel" within the closed system in the brake lines, thus lowering the level of fluid in the master cylinder and triggering the "low fluid" sensor and causing the "brake warning light" on the dash to light up and be displayed).

Sounds like your ride needs a little TLC in the maintenance department, but otherwise, should be OK for a highway cruise? :shrug:

Might as well check your tire tread/pressures at all 4 corners and the rest of the "essentials" before heading out as well to be on the safe side. :cheers:

+1

:nice:

Quick rule of thumb on mixing brake fluid is to NEVER mix DOT 5 brake fluid with DOT 3 or 4.

Low brake fluid level ?

A) Is the car parked on a flat/level surface?
B) Are there any obvious brake fluid leaks?
C) Are the brake pads worn? Most likely.

The car might very well be in need of new pads (not much pad material left, so the brake fluid has more room to "travel" within the closed system in the brake lines, thus lowering the level of fluid in the master cylinder and triggering the "low fluid" sensor and causing the "brake warning light" on the dash to light up and be displayed).

Sounds like your ride needs a little TLC in the maintenance department, but otherwise, should be OK for a highway cruise? :shrug:

Might as well check your tire tread/pressures at all 4 corners and the rest of the "essentials" before heading out as well to be on the safe side. :cheers:

Tires are good, just put them on in February and I'll be checking the tire pressure every 4 hours. I'll probably check out the pads, but I don't think I have time to change them <_<

Tires are good, just put them on in February and I'll be checking the tire pressure every 4 hours. I'll probably check out the pads, but I don't think I have time to change them <_<

One thing to remember on your tire pressures that they will increase with heat from driving. The door spec is cold. All you should be checking for while on a road trip is variances between the tires. Generally the rears will be slightly higher, .5-1psi, due to the car being RWD.