brakes squeaking

• Sponsors (?)

Well if they squeak when not applying them, it definately is the wear indicator.. once they get worn down enough they squeal all the fricken time.

Otherwise, glazed rotors as you said can cause squealing, or glazed pads. We used to (and I still do) take squeaky pads out and rub them on the cement a few times to rough them up, then throw them back in.

Most good service places will do free brake condition inspections for you. Pepboys should charge you practically nothing (or possibly NOTHING) to remove the tire and look at the brakes with a mirror and flashlight and tell you what needs to be replaced in there.

anyone have a pic of the wear indicator hitting the rotor...always been curious...
( I DONT F*** with brakes) bad juju once ..never again

I don't beleive OEM pads have wear indicators.

I know my parts store Cobra pads had wear indicators, but the OEM Cobra pads did not have the indicators.

There are also no wear indicators for the rear pads either.

I don't think 99-04 GT dual piston PBR's have them as well

What makes brakes squeal?? A lot of things. It's mostly harmonics/vibrations that cause the noise. This is caused by worn brakes or low-quality pads and rotors. It can be cured by applying anti-squeal to the backside of the pads to cut down on vibrations transferred to the caliper. Poor quality pads will tend to squeal more than OEM pads and such. Sometimes properly installed pads will squeal no matter what as I found out with my rear pads last summer. No matter how many times i relubed...the squeal didn't stop until i threw the parts store pads into the trash and got OEM

I would NEVER let Pep Boys work on my car...let alone brakes. Having had friends employed there...they are the last people i would trust it too. They will sell you an entire new braking system insstead of relubing pins or pads. Go to a REAL mechanic or do it yourself. Ford brakes are the EASIEST brakes out there to work on...a trained monkey could change them

There could be lots of causes why they squeak.

I got new brembo rotors and pads (Hawk HPS first) on all my brakes a few months ago. My front are great but one of my rears squeak. Ususally squeaks when I am not using them. It finally got so bad I had someone replace them. Those did the same thing. Ok, went for a 3rd set of pads (cermaic this time) - rotors turned to get the glaze off....they still squeak, but not as bad as before.

I put some anti-squeak spray on the rotor (not the kind you put on the back of pads, I forget what its called Squeak-Medic of something) seemed to quite it down a bit. I still have not figured out my issue.

My shop said my problem is with the proportioning value, since I have 13" up front and stock on the rear its messing up the pressure the rear's get.

Best of lucking tracking it down, I finally gave up on mine. I might swap my stockers for a set of rear cobra's next and hope that fixes it all.

~K

My shop said my problem is with the proportioning value, since I have 13" up front and stock on the rear its messing up the pressure the rear's get.

There really isn't a prop valve on an ABS car. The ABS is the proportioning system in that matter. Basically the ABS is telling the computer when to reduce pressure to the rears due to impending lock-up

Hawk pads are notorious for making noise. Some people get lucky, but for the most part if you buy hawk, expect some noise.

Also ceramic pads are harsher so they sometimes cause noise as well. The best pads in terms of being quiet are organic.

In all honesty, the best all=around pad for a street Mustang is a Ford OEM pad. It's low dusting, low/no noise and offers good braking without needing too much heat build-up in the pad. Unless you are autoXing or road racing or something...or just flat out broke and need $20 autozone pads, you should try to stick with the OEM pads.

One thing however, Ford Motorsport is not the same as Ford OEM. Pads sold under the Motorsport name are cheaper but use inferior materials since they are priced to compete with auto parts stores. The better quality pads arehte ones that come in Ford boxes. You are gonna pay a little bit more, but coming from someone who has done quite a few brake jobs on various vehicles...the best parts are OEM parts.

:rlaugh: :lol:

I got Hawk pads because every one said they are great...but they SUCK BALLZ. I used anti-squeek lube too. Just go with OEM.

I agree, after my experience with aftermarket pads I will never get anything but Motorcraft OEM.

The pads that come stock are there for a reason. If the Ford engineers could find a pad that worked better without having undesirable side effects such as squeaking and dust they would. As it stands customers don't want to drive squeaky cars with black wheels so they have to make some compromises typically at the expense of a little bit of braking performance and cost.