Brakes went out and the car died.

4turboho

Jan 31, 2009
I got a 91 mustang and since I bought the car its had a hissing sound when i hit the brakes.(at idle when i put my foot on the brake the rpms would go up) so I just put v8 brakes on it last week and tonight I was driving and I went to hit the brakesa and the pedal got super firm and as i continued to press the brakes harder cause the ebrake doesnt work I thought to my self maybe ill fix the ebrake tomorrow if i get this thing to stop:eek: lol...no no back to what happened I hit the brakes and as it was slowing down slowly the car died and now it wont start up. Is this the brake booster or something else?

• Sponsors (?)

Hose from intake to booster keeps vacuum in the booster, if the booster housing leaks and lets air in, you will not have vacuum to assist stopping and also it will allow exrta air into the intake and it'll act like a vacuum leak and stall the engine. Sounds like you need a new booster and they are no fun to change.

Like capri debris said, check the vacuum line to the booster. Also, check the check-valve on the booster. You don't "need" the booster for the car to run or to stop. But, the brakes will be HARD to push. And, for MOST PEOPLE, the stopping distance will be GREATLY increased because of the additional force needed on the brake pedal. It will be UNSAFE to drive in heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic. Well, unless you have legs like Mr Universe. ;)

BTW: For all of the *******s that have a desire to say "they could stop a car fine without the booster hooked up", I used to run up to 6 marathons a year and workout at a Gold's Gym 4x/week. Even in my best shape, stopping a car without a booster hooked up would NOT have been easy! Also, a non-working booster is different than a manual setup! The effort is greater.

Then again, a lard-*** that weighs 400+lbs might be able to put plenty of force on the brake pedal. :)

So, in short, fix the bad vaccum line and/or booster. Be safe, drive safe! :)

Good Luck!

Hose from intake to booster keeps vacuum in the booster, if the booster housing leaks and lets air in, you will not have vacuum to assist stopping and also it will allow exrta air into the intake and it'll act like a vacuum leak and stall the engine. Sounds like you need a new booster and they are no fun to change.

I want a Mercury Capri!! After looking at you 2 cars I forgot what we were talking about lol Anyways thanks and ill check it all out

ok the pedal is rock hard the check valve is good and i pluged the wire going to the booster and it still wont start i think its the timing belt skipped a tooth last night thats why it wont run but with the pedal being rock hard you think thats the booster or something else im kuntfused

No info about your car's engine, EFI or carb, no mods listed. Makes it hard to troubleshoot when we don't know what you have.

That's why it is a good idea to use the sig under the user control panel (User CP) option. It allows you to post your car year & mods, which help greatly when troubleshooting things. No, it is not there for us to snoop and see any "Secrets" you have hidden away under the hood. Be a good stangnetter and update you sig for future reference & don't keep us guessing.

No info about your car's engine, EFI or carb, no mods listed. Makes it hard to troubleshoot when we don't know what you have.

That's why it is a good idea to use the sig under the user control panel (User CP) option. It allows you to post your car year & mods, which help greatly when troubleshooting things. No, it is not there for us to snoop and see any "Secrets" you have hidden away under the hood. Be a good stangnetter and update you sig for future reference & don't keep us guessing.

its just a stock 2.3l i know im in the wrong section but no one looks in that section haha!!