Break-In Thoughts....

Hi,

I am wondering about break-in proceedures, the engine has new bearings/rings and a fresh hone, brand new Centerforce DF...the DF calls for 500 easy miles before full power, and am assuming that the engine should be treated to the 2500rpm for the first hour? Or is it 1/2 hour?

So what is the best path to help everything last and not blow up too soon??? How about using Royal Purple break-in oil?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Break in oil, run it through a few heat cycles. Take it out and go easy on it at first just to run it through the paces. And the. GIVE IT HELL!!! :D then change the oil after 100 miles or less.

Everyone will have their own opinion on break-in style. My friend (has a 9 second 87gt. Broke his car in by pulling out of the driveway, turning left and ripping the holy hell out of it. That was a year ago.

tanner's right about everyone having different methods. About the only real quark I have is because I had a set of moly rings not seat real good one time, since then I get on a back road and stop and go pretty hard about 5 to 10 times, not even sure if it helps but gives me peace of mind. You definitely need to change the oil within 100 miles, all the assembly lube and coatings will be coming off.

I've heard 500 miles, same answer you will get from anyone. Mine was broken in at 40 miles(thanks Dad). Still runs strong 8,000 miles later. Use break in oil, one or two heat cycles. Change the oil, then take it for a run, just make sure you get the car to different RPM ranges(not hard, ease into it).

I did like 100 miles driveing at all rpm's,cruise at 2k, then 3k, ect. even hold 6k in first at 1/4 throttle. but never WOT.

change oil after 1 heat cycle then again at 100 miles, then 1000, then normally fron here on, which for me is like 2k.

I babied my old motor when I first built it and to be honest with you it never ran as hard as I thought it should have, I built my new motor and did alot of hard acceleration and it feels like it runs way better.

I did like 100 miles driveing at all rpm's,cruise at 2k, then 3k, ect. even hold 6k in first at 1/4 throttle. but never WOT.

change oil after 1 heat cycle then again at 100 miles, then 1000, then normally fron here on, which for me is like 2k.

I'm an oil change whore too, if I had nothing to do on a sunday, I would drop the oil and put fresh stuff in (around the 2-4k mark)...

So what about the clutch? Is there a break in for that too, or same idea, heat cycle and then giver?

The idea with clutches is to get a good Mating surface built up on the flywheel. Drag racers don't really bother because they aren't using the clutch for long periods. Many guys will say 500-1000 miles of easy driving. I broke mine in for About 200 miles and went out slamming gears. It's up to you