Brits Review Mustang GT

• Sponsors (?)

I didnt see this "Review" as negative as most of you I guess... The Mustang is not a spectacular car on paper or in extreme curves... It is a different car, and the opinions Top Gear and other Europeans give come from dealing with European cars...

Very different markets, no secret there. Personally I love watching Top Gear as well as other car shows, for the sheer basis of enjoying watching fast cars and so on. I take each review with objectivity of learning what is worth learning and realizing what is typical media sensationalism. This article was written to be dramatic, as most everything that comes from Jeremy Clarkson is. Very dramatic and over stated. But if you weed through the sensationlism and dramatics, you see the fairly standard opinion: Although the car has some dated technology, you can't put your finger on why it works so well and you just love it... That is why the Mustang is selling so well. It isnt one thing, it is the entire package of looks, value, performance, and style that just makes it a good buy...

I saw them give the Smart car a good review. I mean 80HP $25,000 small sporty car? With 0-60 in "I got tired of counting after 11, so I just gave up"... Their reviews are to be entertaining; and informative if they get around to it... Don't take them too personal.

Afterall, Jeremy Clarkson of all people just bought a Ford GT sportscar over lots of other cars he could have with his money... That says something... Saying it was one of the best sportscars he has EVER driven. And from what I have seen, he has driven virtually all of them...

Mickey21 said:
I didnt see this "Review" as negative as most of you I guess... The Mustang is not a spectacular car on paper or in extreme curves... It is a different car, and the opinions Top Gear and other Europeans give come from dealing with European cars...

Very different markets, no secret there. Personally I love watching Top Gear as well as other car shows, for the sheer basis of enjoying watching fast cars and so on. I take each review with objectivity of learning what is worth learning and realizing what is typical media sensationalism. This article was written to be dramatic, as most everything that comes from Jeremy Clarkson is. Very dramatic and over stated. But if you weed through the sensationlism and dramatics, you see the fairly standard opinion: Although the car has some dated technology, you can't put your finger on why it works so well and you just love it... That is why the Mustang is selling so well. It isnt one thing, it is the entire package of looks, value, performance, and style that just makes it a good buy...

I saw them give the Smart car a good review. I mean 80HP $25,000 small sporty car? With 0-60 in "I got tired of counting after 11, so I just gave up"... Their reviews are to be entertaining; and informative if they get around to it... Don't take them too personal.
This is the best, most level headed post in this thread.

Mickey21 said:
Afterall, Jeremy Clarkson of all people just bought a Ford GT sportscar over lots of other cars he could have with his money... That says something... Saying it was one of the best sportscars he has EVER driven. And from what I have seen, he has driven virtually all of them...
Sadly, JC recently returned his GT to Ford.

Apart from costing him £126,000 (thats a lot of dollars) and being 9 months late I think JC really liked the car. However it has constantly broken down and left him stranded. I think the alarm system was largly to blame.

So he phoned Ford and said they could have their car back. They returned the £126k that afternoon and collected the car the next day.

Considering Jeremy has had Jags, Ferrari's and a Merc SL55 AMG and didn't return any of them (even with the issues they had) it really has to say something about Ford!

I think the review shows that Ford finally designed a car that is truely American. See... AMERICANs love it, and non-Americans don't...

The new Mustang is truely an American car for an American driver living in America! We need to build all our cars like that!

RetiredGeneral said:
I think the review shows that Ford finally designed a car that is truely American. See... AMERICANs love it, and non-Americans don't...

The new Mustang is truely an American car for an American driver living in America! We need to build all our cars like that!
lol, you do. That's why most of them are not sold outside the US.

Ford and GM both have totally different model ranges for the rest of the world:

Ford Ka
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus (ok this is sold in the US too)
Ford Galaxy
Ford Mondeo

Vauxhall/Opel Astra
Vectra
VX220
Corsa

If any of us needed any convincing that Americans and Europeans see things differently, we need only crack open a copy of the respective constitutions. 11 pages for the former, 300+ pages of bloat for the latter. Is it really any wonder, then, that two peoples so different from one another approach driving differently as well?

DoubleONegative said:
the C6 does have leaf springs.

and are you sure you stang will smoke any car under 70K??

Yeah apparently he hasnt heard of the Z06. lol

You guys have to realize something. Europeans like very different cars that we do. The rest of the world laughs at our 8 ton SUVs that get 2mpg (as they should because they are dumb). They laugh at the inferior plastics and junk we build our interiors out of. Go take a look at a Chevy or Ford and an equal Toyota, Honda, or VW. There is a difference.

Those guys will call any car crap if it is. Often times the host diagree and both say their opinions.

My only complaint about that is show is they tend not to factor in cost as much as they should.

And as for the VW vs GT that imo is a great comparison on the differnce between the US and Europe in cars. The VW is much slower and has much less power. It doesnt look as good to us because the mustang here is an icon, its not there.

To them the VW is a better overall package because it combines descent power, sporty looks, better build quality, and better handling in a comparable package.

VW build quality has never been very good, a lot of miscelaneous little things fail on many of them, sensors, lights, things like that... though they are getting better I hear.

300bhp/ton said:
lol, you do. That's why most of them are not sold outside the US.

Ford and GM both have totally different model ranges for the rest of the world:

Ford Ka
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus (ok this is sold in the US too)
Ford Galaxy
Ford Mondeo

Vauxhall/Opel Astra
Vectra
VX220
Corsa

True, but add one more to your list, as the Vauxhall VX220 will be sold in the US starting next year, rebadged as the Saturn Sky, for what its worth...

lmao to the guy who says his mustang can smoke anything under 70K$.... i'll name a couple of cars.... bmw m3, c55 amg, lotus elise, and thats just to name a few.....

i used to have a bimmer and now have a V6 Mustang... the handling and ride quality doesn't even compare but w/e i guess you gotta live with what you can afford...

Ara said:
VW build quality has never been very good, a lot of miscelaneous little things fail on many of them, sensors, lights, things like that... though they are getting better I hear.

VW build quality is horrendous from my experience. I own a 97 gti vr6 currently and have had so many problems with it that I have put more money into fixing it then I originally paid for it!

The only vw I could see competing with the mustang is the golf r32 which cost more, is slower and had a limited production here. I don;t watch top gear very often mainly because of reviews like this.

78Mach1 said:
True, but add one more to your list, as the Vauxhall VX220 will be sold in the US starting next year, rebadged as the Saturn Sky, for what its worth...

Not quite. The Sky is actually a Solstice with a different body. I really liked the looks of it - it reminded me quite a bit of the Vauxhall - but I'm just too tall. I tried a Solstice, and found my knee eating the back of the steering wheel when I let the clutch out.

Then again, I wound up with an auto Mustang, so I suppose it wasn't a big deal after all.

I think the limy guy speaks the truth. The Mustang very clearly is not all that it could be compared to other autos of the world. It was kept in-check for blue collar Joe. Nissan and Lexus both have 3.5 liter 6cyls making a tad under and a tad over 300hp on nuts. I really think that the 6cyl in the ‘Stang should be making an easy 300 hp n/a stock, and the 4.6 ought to be making 400hp stock. Advanced technology costs money that most of blue collar American people simply do not want to pay for. Americans like cheap fun; not refined machinery. Those who do go for the refined machinery may pick up a ‘Stang to have a little fun with, but they appreciate the Audi or BMW they tote to work in. If you look at our cozy little American house from the outside in, you will realize that the mustang is a blue-collar pony ride. Ford knows that is exactly what we want here, at home, and does not intend to aim Mustang marketing across the pond.

I have fun with my Notch, but it is a sloppy POS compared to a BMW. Not that I would ever want to buy a BMW, but seriously, biased comments thinking that the ‘Stang is the greatest, or I can have three cars for the price of that are simply known as ricer comments.