broken header bolt in the head!!!

• Sponsors (?)

If there is still some of the stud sticking out tool manufacturers make a set of sockets that have a left hand knurl inside of them that will bite onto the stud as you attempt to remove them. I bought mine from a drivearound tool dealer but I believe you can find something similar in Sears or a good hardware store. If the stud is broken off flush than you will have to drill a small pilot hole and try an easy out, ( a small drill bit sized tool that has the left hand knurls on the outside of the shaft). I'll add you to my prayers tonight.
Frank

before you drill your pilot hole...GET A GOOD QUALITY BIT. It seems like common sense, but the bit must be harder than the bolt. Let the bit cool off a little too because they get hot quick and heat makes them weaker. Also..be sure and not move the drill around much if at all...does it sound like maybe i've broken a bit off in a bolt doing this same thing recently? Yep, I did and it wasn't a lot of fun. Good luck...also, if tha doesn't work, you could maybe try to jb weld onto it or something and twist it out. I had to pull my intake and a machine shop welded on to the bolt and pulled it out.

If there's enough sticking out you can sometimes Dremel a slot in it, and then get a flat blade screw driver into it. But depending on how/why it broke off, it could come right out as easily as grabbing it with a pair of pliers, or it could be as bad as having to remove the head and take it to a machine shop. Good luck.