Broken Mirror & Header Panel

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
My son let the potential buyer of his convertible (his brother) back the car out of the garage. He hit the mirror, cracking the glass and popping the insert out. I'm not sure why he didn't stop at that point but continued out and clipped the front corner which busted the fender molding and popped the bumper off the drivers side which broke up the header panel. These parts are cheap and we'll fix it ourselves no problem. It looked way worse than it really is but you know the story. Brother is buying all needed parts and helping with installation.

For those of you who have done the header panel install before, are there any tips or tricky areas we should know about before working on it?

On the damage to the mirror, it looks like we only need to replace the mirror glass itself. It looks like the mirror insert simply popped out of it's retention clips. Look at the picture. Can I just snap this back in?

Thanks for your help.

Here's the view into mirror assembly where the insert popped out.

58968C9D-EC57-4799-8404-30F59D804EDE.jpg

21C078CC-F077-4F70-B86B-F37F04031E45.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

We had a mirror do that in one of our cars, it wasnt a mustang but it did pop back in, fell out again then popped back in and no further issues...

And ouch ! hows the garage doing?

Got her all back together and fixed a few other things along the way. The bumper came off so easy because it was not properly installed in the first place. The fact it popped off so easy was probably a saving grace. Kinda like Rock em Sock em robots. Just push his head back down and fight again. The mirror only needed the glass replaced. The little adjuster pin was found in the driveway and it all snapped back together fully functional. The fender molding still needs painting.

P1030072_1.jpg