Budget 351W swap/build thread

• Sponsors (?)

I thought I would show some pic's of what the N/A S351's look like

DSC00860.jpg

DSC00862.jpg

DSC00861.jpg

It ticks me off that Ford Racing dosn't step up and start offering the 351W lower intakes. They mass produce replica 5.0 Cobra intakes, so it wouldn't be much for them to start popping out 351 lowers. If I could get hold of one, I could just use my Explorer upper and be done with it!

i'm working on putting together a spyder-like setup with a PP hurricane and an elbow from coast. the hurricane requires aftermarket fuel rails, so i'm trying to figure that out. i have some rails from mallory, but the injector bosses may not be spaced the same as the hurricane, so i don't know if i can use it. the PP rails are $245 from summit

Lets talk about the topic of ..........

Picking a cam with a WIDE lsa to play nice with the pcm

My Opinion ... I repeat ... My Opinion :D

That is one of those phrases that really gets on my last nerve :fuss:

Two reasons

1) We be a forum for 94-95 pcms NOT Fox pcms :nice:
therefore
We need to NOT think like Fox folk :nono:

Our pcm's are load based!

You up the cubic inches by 50 or more cubes and you are gonna have a
pcm that is hosed in the load department if you
try and run it un-optimized :Word:

2) Pick a cam to make power and focus on that thought ONLY :spot:
then
You optimize the pcm to take care of driveability issues as they crop up ;)

Bottom line ... just think of a tune as a hot rod part :nice:
Just like a set of heads, intake, etc
and
Just budget in that cost like any other hot rod part

Rant is over now :rlaugh:

Grady

i'm working on putting together a spyder-like setup with a PP hurricane and an elbow from coast. the hurricane requires aftermarket fuel rails, so i'm trying to figure that out. i have some rails from mallory, but the injector bosses may not be spaced the same as the hurricane, so i don't know if i can use it. the PP rails are $245 from summit

Dude, Summit is HIGH priced! Check out ebay and other places like Brother's Performance and Blue Oval Industries. They beat the crap out of Summits price even with shipping added.

Summit wanted around 600 for that polished typhoon intake! :eek:

Dude, Summit is HIGH priced! Check out ebay and other places like Brother's Performance and Blue Oval Industries. They beat the crap out of Summits price even with shipping added.

Summit wanted around 600 for that polished typhoon intake! :eek:

haha DAMN! $625 for a PP intake? They are on crack and a TFS R-series is $700.

Do they not know on ebay they are being sold for $399? hahahahaha:rlaugh:

I'm doing a Very similar swap but mines a 392c.i that I'm pulling from my Bronco, not doing the EFI but rather going Carb, less issues and less money over all. I'm trying some new lines of thinking for this swap and will start a Thread at some point.

When I start the Thread I'll throw up all my ideas, lets just say The stock pump is going away and a standard fuel pickup and sock is going in and still using the stock sending unit.

I actually did that when I put a carb'ed 5.0 into a Merkur XR4ti. Works great! Used a Holley "Red" pump.

I hope I didn't "goober" your secret. :rolleyes:

No you didn't I'm going to be using the Fuel return Line as well so I will let the pump push well over the Regulator and the 2nd out line from the Regulator will feed back to the Tank. I think the Red pump Regulator can be used that way as well. But I will take pics and Start a Thread that Way I don't highjack His :D

Ok everyone, riddle me this: If I build a 351 with E7's and GT40/Typhoon intake, it's going to make at least a little more power than a 302, correct? So if I plan to boost it with about 15 psi, I should have a pretty fun, reliable combo, correct? If I'm not looking to have more than say....450rwhp, then I'd be good to go...at least in my way of thinking.

For every dollar I save on the 351 swap, I can apply that to a blower. Just thinking out loud.