bump steer kit...fill me in

• Sponsors (?)

When you lower the car it put your tierods up at an angle. So you aline the car like that and as the wheel travels down the rod pushes out changing the tow on the front wheels. Feels like driving on grooves on the pavement if your just cruising. It can really throw you off if your driving hard. The kit just levels out the tie rods so that they are back to about parrellel so they don't push and pull on the front wheels as the suspension travels. Have fancy little heim joints where the tierods are. I lowered my car with c springs and drove it like that for a while before I got the bumpsteer kit. It helps alot.

so my stock suspension stock height shouldn't need the bump steer kit...

It would help, but not very much. I doubt that you'd notice it much with stock width tires, stock fender height, stock spindles, and stock size rims. And, for the ~$150, *I* don't think it's worth it. Also, add in the $75 for an alignment. And, let's not forget about the little talked about fact that the helm joints in the bump-steer kits don't "last that long" (maybe ??20K miles??).

the alignment would be free and I only put 3400 Km's on my car this year...But I guess if I don't need the kit I won't worry about one. I never really felt any bump steer. I didn't realize it was mostly on lower or modified suspension mustangs
It becomes much more important on Stangs with 94/95 Spindles and/or lowered more than ~3/4". Now, after I've seen the difference, and others have also, *I* would say a bump-steer lit is pretty much required in those circumstances.

If you ever need new tie-rod ends, since you don't put a lot of miles on your Fox, then you may want to get an MM bump-steer kit.

Hmm, come to think of it, does anyone still put a lot of yearly miles (10+K) on a Fox? :)

Before MM started selling Bumpsteer Kits they used to sell 91-93 Outer Tie Rod Ends as they were designed to help control bump steer. I dont think they are available anymore though as they just list the old style outer ends as replacements.

Bump steer kits will not help with tramlining issues. Tramlining is most seen when you use larger than stock tires on the stock suspension and the tires wander the groove in the road…never really able to settle. Positive caster will help combat that issue, as will different tire brands/sizes.

Bump steer however is that oh-sh%t feeling you get when you hit a bump in the road and you find your steering suddenly pointing in another direction. This is most noticeable on lowered cars that have their control arm's at a different angle than the tie rods.

Interesting discussion. My '88 was lowered with C springs years ago and had been in storage since 1992...17K original miles so everything is still "new". When I resuscitated it out last March and started driving it again it was all over the road. A call to MM and they recommended their CC plates and to follow the alignment specs in their instructions. The car is vastly better now, but on certain roads it still wants to wander. Better at faster speeds, but up to 70 ti wants to walk around. 225/16 up front and 255/16 out back, BFG g-Force KDWS.

I made a follow-up call to MM and they said I shouldn't need the bump steer kit as it is generally for cars with new K-members and the CC plates should fix my issue. I'll probably bring it back in to have the alignment checked in the spring and am hoping I don't need the bump steer kit.

Interesting discussion. My '88 was lowered with C springs years ago and had been in storage since 1992...17K original miles so everything is still "new". When I resuscitated it out last March and started driving it again it was all over the road. A call to MM and they recommended their CC plates and to follow the alignment specs in their instructions. The car is vastly better now, but on certain roads it still wants to wander. Better at faster speeds, but up to 70 ti wants to walk around. 225/16 up front and 255/16 out back, BFG g-Force KDWS.

I made a follow-up call to MM and they said I shouldn't need the bump steer kit as it is generally for cars with new K-members and the CC plates should fix my issue. I'll probably bring it back in to have the alignment checked in the spring and am hoping I don't need the bump steer kit.

Your issue sounds like Tramlining, not bump steer. The caster camber plates helped…probably because more positive caster was added. If it still bothers you, you will likely have to switch to a different brand tire or go with something slightly narrower.

Or you can have them set your caster at it's maximum positive (matching for both sides)
Best thing i've ever done
Supposidly you give up a little elsewhere by doing so, but i didn't notice anything different other than the car didn't follow ruts.