Wheels-Tires Power Steering Pump

Magnet86

5 Year Member
Jul 21, 2018
Hagerstown, MD
Greetings, all:
I'm thinking of replacing the power steering pump in the 86 GT. Its getting a little loud the past few years. The steering rack was replaced maybe twelve years ago. The steering works great, its just a litttle loud. Would replacing the fluid make a difference? I have about five quarts of Type F ready to go. But I believe the fluid in the system is a little old and maybe mixed brands, not entirely sure. A rebuilt pump is affordable; I would rather not make any seals go bad with new fluid or mixed fluid. Plus the hose that connects to the back of the resevoir is beginning to leak so I will need at least one new hose as well. Replace pump and hose plus fluid/ flush or maybe just flush? Thanks much.

• Sponsors (?)

There is a rebuild post on here, I believe by 5L5, that helps you rebuild or reseal your own...
A factory service manual was a big help to me doing my 83 pump..
I sent my 02 steering rack to Turn One for a rebuild and there fluid recommendation is the best synthetic you can find...
A believer here in Type F fluid, but my pump has been very quiet with Royal Purple syn PS fluid...

Once they start making noise I’ve never had good luck getting them to quit with just a fluid change. I will caution you to not put a new or rebuilt pump into the existing system without flushing first using the old pump. Remove the return hose connected to the pump and put that hose into something to collect the fluid (oil change pan or whatever you have). Plug the return port on the pump. Fill the pump reservoir with fresh fluid and turn the pulley by hand. Watch the fluid coming out of the rack until it clears up. If you see any metal / aluminum shavings then you should consider replacing / rebuilding the rack.

My experience has been that once metal gets into the system the pump and rack are both going to need to be rebuilt or replaced.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user